• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear end grabbing

mrogers

NAXJA Forum User
I did find the answer to this the other week but now I have searched and cant find it again.

After my car has been driven a while I getting a strange, possible brake related problem.

Basically when I pull away the back end feel like it grabbing which last for about the first 4 seconds on normal pull away.

Its more noticable when I am turning when pulling away and also alot more noticible in 2WD rather than 4WD.

I'm sure somewhere I have seen this being a brake problem?

The rear brake adjustment (star wheels bolt) between the shoes is often a problem. They can freeze up (take apart and lube) or sometimes adjusted thru the little slots in the backing plate. Are you familiar with that?

i am not familier with that, but I will have a look. the weekend. I have noticed a whining sound when driving along, but it doesnt change with when i apply the brakes. The juddeer i get when i pull away after driving on the highway for a bit, feels like it does on your push bike when you try to pull away and chage gears at the same time (like the chain is slipping on the cogs). This happens more so when i I pull away when turning right. Just feels like coggs are slipping foe a second or 2

When was the last time you serviced the rear axle ? The lube may be low and or the limited-slip (anti-spin) additive has worn out.
Could also be a bad U-joint in the propeller shaft.

Trying to use UK terms-:dunno:

Wayne

I was going to do the rear diff last weekend but as my water pump went i decided to do that instead. actually have a new gasket. 2 bottles of Mopar additive and some diff oil so that my next job. will do the propshaft check too. thanks for the help :)

Back