• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

track bar setup

mlv1234

NAXJA Forum User
hello i would like to know if any of you guys running the custom track bar setup on top of the axle?? how do you like it im at 8in and 36s now and soon to be 10ins please dont hate on the hight im in south FL and we like mud

There's really nothing to like. It keeps the links parallel and enables better steering clearance for different setups. All important but I didn't notice a difference as far as performance. At that height you should do it.

Probably the big issue is that your trackbar will get shorter compared to the draglink. You'll get some bumpsteer out of it.

Probably the big issue is that your trackbar will get shorter compared to the draglink. You'll get some bumpsteer out of it.

Not really Jeff. The goal is for the angle to be as flat as possible, and there isn't enough suspension movement to get much angle change difference between the track bar and drag link when they are as flat as possible.

To the original poster........you MUST move the track bar above the axle with that amount of lift, and the steering also.

I got a little bumpsteer on my 94 when I converted from a trackbar in the stock location to an OAB with a build-it trackbar (ORGS MFG, now JKS.) The steering was not touched, it's a Heim conversion to a crossover. After the conversion, the trackbar and the draglink are almost perfectly parallel, but the trackbar is significantly shorter. When the suspension cycles, I do get some steering effect.

I will agree that having the trackbar and the draglink parallel is important, the length also affects steering. The ideal situation is angle and length are both identical. And if you have to make a choice, make the angle the same, it'll affect steering less than length, especially if you can get them as flat as possible.

-----
I will agree that having the track bar and the drag link parallel is important, the length also affects steering. The ideal situation is angle and length are both identical. And if you have to make a choice, make the angle the same, it'll affect steering less than length, especially if you can get them as flat as possible.

X2--perfection requires track bar and drag link to be equal lengths and parallel. Unfortunately, in the real world, perfection is elusive.
Unequal lengths of track bar and drag length generally don't cause bump steer on the highway, because the suspension does not fully flex--unless you're jumping speed bumps:looser:. Non parellel links will show up on the highway. How bad depends on how much out of parallel they are.

Where do you guys get the do-it-yourself track bar kits for above the axle? I know a few fab companies make the axle side bracket (ballistic fab), but what about the bar itself? Just buy some joints and thread some rod I guess? Cut up a premade bar from JKS or RE?

Look under Fab Parts on http://www.jksmfg.com. They carry both the OAB bracket, as well as kits for the trackbar, and the frame end bracket.

trackbar6.jpg

This is on a ZJ from www.kevinsoffroad.com

Back