• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To those who recieved Pistachios

I just wanted to give a heads up to those who recieved the pistachios at the raffle. I heard on the news tonight that the pistachios from Setton Farms has been recalled for salmanilla poisoning.:cry:

The following quote is from http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news/dpg_Calif_Feds_Probe_Pistachio_Firm_mb_033020092344677
Calif., Feds Probe
Pistachio Firm

Last Edited: Monday, 30 Mar 2009, 5:33 PM MDT

Created On: Monday, 30 Mar 2009, 5:33 PM MDT
  • By GARANCE BURKE Associated Press Writer
FRESNO, Calif. - Food safety officials said Monday they were investigating a central California plant that processed pistachios tied to nationwide recalls of trail mix and bagged nuts because of possible salmonella contamination.
The California Department of Public Health said Monday it was tracking nuts processed at Setton Farms, a firm based in rural Tulare County whose Web site describes it as the second-largest pistachio processor in the United States.
State authorities said Setton sent its roasted pistachios to the Georgia Nut Co., which recalled its Kraft Back to Nature Nantucket Blend trail mix on Wednesday. Setton Farms has initiated a separate recall of three lots of roasted pistachios tied to the positive results in the trail mix, California officials said.
Grocery operator Kroger Co. said the California firm also supplied the line of pistachios it recalled because of possible salmonella contamination. Those nuts were sold in 31 states. No illnesses have been reported.
Setton Farms will recall a total of about 1 million pounds of pistachio products, said Dr. David Acheson, associate commissioner for foods at the Food and Drug Administration.
Setton Farms did not immediately respond to calls for comment.

I looked at www.settonfarms.com to find info on this recall and was unable to find any. The above article mentions no illnesses have been reported, so I am tempted to just eat them anyway.

I can see it now.

22 people admitted to the hospital with a case of the violent shits. Only common link is XJs and nuts.

Last edited:
mmmmmmmm, nuts!

Just to clarify...

FRESNO, Calif., April 1 /PRNewswire/ -- The Western Pistachio Association today released important information and clarification related to the recently announced recall of pistachios.

The pistachio recall involves a single processor. Setton Farms of Terra Bella, Calif., which voluntarily initiated this action, is the only processor involved in the recall. There are no current indications that pistachios processed outside of the Setton Farms facility are affected by this recall. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is providing a searchable database of affected products at http://www.fda.gov/pistachios/ and will continue to update that site.
The growers and processors not involved in this recall believe their products are safe. FDA recommends that consumers avoid eating pistachio products and set them aside until further information is available. The FDA has not suggested that consumers or retailers return or dispose of pistachio products.
FDA reports that there have been no illnesses tied to pistachios. The pistachio recall is precautionary and is not related to recent recalls of peanut products linked to a salmonella outbreak.
Growers and processors are continuing efforts to ensure the safety of their current inventories. As a further precautionary measure, growers and processors are committed to continuing testing of pistachio shipments going forward.
Processors follow stringent quality control procedures using advanced testing technology. These measures have contributed to the industry's excellent track record of producing high-quality products that are wholesome and healthy.
Pistachio growers and processors are cooperating with health authorities. The health and safety of consumers is the industry's number-one priority. The industry is committed to working closely with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the California Department of Public Health to address any questions about pistachio safety.
Western Pistachio Association will continue to update information as it becomes available through its Web site at www.westernpistachio.org.

Media inquiries are welcome by contacting Richard Matoian at [email protected].

To be specific the suspect nuts were kernels that kraft put into a trail mix, not the roasted / salted in shell pistachio's you guys got. It's probably best if you not eat them until the FDA finishes their investigation, but don't toss them. FWIW I'm still eating them...

Thanks for the update and clarification. I love pistachios so much that even if they were bad I would probably eat them anyways.

To be specific the suspect nuts were kernels that kraft put into a trail mix, not the roasted / salted in shell pistachio's you guys got. It's probably best if you not eat them until the FDA finishes their investigation, but don't toss them. FWIW I'm still eating them...

I couldn't help but laugh when I heard the news on national TV.
Bonnie and I were sitting there with a bag of Setton pistachios, munching away!

:D

You all should stay away from those pistachios and stick to Deez....

Deez Nuts.

Back