• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aftermarket rear bumpers

I only have 400 right now, so I was sort of planning on making my own. I have never welded before, so I will need to practice, is a MIG 120 good enough?

I have looked at JCR, and like his stuff, and would buy it, if/when I have the money

thanks

Do the aftermarket rear bumpers tie into the frame rails at all? Or do they just bolt up to the stock holes?

Any bumper with recovery or two points should tie into the framerails. If it's just d-ring mounts you'd be ok using flat steel to do this, but if you'll be adding a hitch then go with an angle mount in either 3/16" or 1/4" thickness. Flat steel mounts are junk for towing, have absolutely no strength to support tongue weight. Sure it might not seem like much but bouncing down the road it adds a lot of stress.

Same would go for if you were adding a tire carrier, definitely go with the angled mounts. In addition use the factory mounting points as there is a lot of leveraging forces.

Building your own can be fun and a good way to save money. If it helps you out we're in the process of starting to sell Do It Yourself parts such as rear bumper mounts that include nutstrips, d-ring mounts, tire plates and our new rocksolid tire hinge. Shoot me a PM or email if you'd like some pricing.

Here is how a friends tie into.
IMG_2252.jpg

IMG_2251.jpg

IMG_2253.jpg

IMG_2254.jpg

Nates4x4.com has some nice bumpers at a good price. The front ties into the frame and steering box mount.

DONT BUY ANYTHING FROM NATES4X4! i had the worst experience with that guy and will never buy anything form him again! i do not recomend him

Thanks everyone, all I needed to know was how they tie in. But now I kinda want to buy one instead. Kinda undecided....

Damn! That bumper is SHAWEEEEET!

Thanks. I can't take the credit though, Terry does some nice work. All I did was paint and install :D

Ritter4.0, I can't offer any advice on that one. It's nice to build and sometimes it's nice to buy. I had a home fab job that didn't hold up. I lost a tow point and both quarter gaurds were shot to hell. Hence the upgrade.

Sounds like you're planning better than I did though.

I'm a big fan of my C-rok rear bumper. Not only does it tie in to the skid plate/former trailer hitch mounts, but it also ties in on both rear quarters. I use my jeep as a farm tractor (pulled two live 16" trees out of the ground the other day) and the bumper doesn't budge.

I'm a big fan of my C-rok rear bumper. Not only does it tie in to the skid plate/former trailer hitch mounts, but it also ties in on both rear quarters. I use my jeep as a farm tractor (pulled two live 16" trees out of the ground the other day) and the bumper doesn't budge.

^ big deal, I could pull a 16 inch tree out with my hands..... Now if you meant 16' trees that's another story.... :cheers:

I wonder how strong those recovery points are? It looks like it just bolts into the existing bumper... anyone have any experience with this bumper. It's a great price...

I think you missed something. If you look on the upper right picture, you will see the mounting structure. You attach the mounting points, then put the stock bumper back on, and bolt the swing out to that. Detours is a good company, and that bumper is pretty new.

Back