• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Suggestions for axles

winchster

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched, maybe I'm looking under the wrong rocks........

I think I've decided to go with a Ford 8.8 rear to replace my D35. My question is, what should I put up front to match it? Or is the D30 stout enough?

'94 XJ Stock. '96 running gear. Want to end up with 4.10 or 4.56 on 4" lift with 33" tires. Math says use 4.10, this whole forum says use 4.56.

So if the smaller 30 upfront is sufficient, can I just put lockers in the rear and save myself all the headache of swapping it? I won't ever be rock crawling.

Ok, found a thread on 8.8 vs 8.25.

What about the 30? Truss it? etc.. What do I need to do to it?

Last edited:
for 33's up front you will be fine if you are careful. Super 30 kit if you are worried.

I thought you were set on the 8.8. I think for you a late model 8.25 will be quicker and easier. You can truss them both if you want to, but what will you be doing to this rig? If it is light trail riding you can get away with diff covers and good parts.

The 30 will be fine with 33's left alone. its not superman though. For the rear, a 29 spline 8.25 would work out great. They are everywhere and can be bought for a song.

I am set on the 8.8. I like what it has to offer over the 8.25.

Light to medium trail is all this will ever see. (Unless I'm running from the new Dictator in D.C. lol.) I just don't want to try to polish a turd so to speak, that's why i'm asking about the front. I understand all the reasons for swapping out the rear, I just need to know about the front.

D30/8.8 combo is just fine. The real downfall to the 8.8 is that its a C-clip axle, but assuming you pull a 96+ they make eliminators for that problem.

FWIW, I run my D30/8.8 with 35s and Ive had no problems what so ever.

I would say go to a 4.56 ratio and have fun. Ill be going to 4.88s here very soon.

i dont really consider c-clips that much of a downfall..they dont weaken a shaft in anyways, and the dana 35, the chry 8.25, and ford 8.8 would all have c-clips.

the dana 30 will be plenty strong to hold up to 33s..even locked.

if i were you id go with a 29 spline 8.25. can easily be had for about 100 bucks, and will swap right in

$100 Seriously? Now I'm beginning to wonder if the 8.25 might be stout enough. I know there are tons of 8.25 lovers on this forum, and now I'm starting to doubt myself.

I do plan on running Aussie lockers front and back.

I'll be back, after a short thinkin session. LoL :smoker:

I pulled my 8.8 for $115 at pick-a-part and had under my jeep for less then $200.

8.25 vs 8.8:

More support for 8.8 and it has disc brakes and you can find it with 4.10s and a limited slip.
8.25 is bolt in

Yeah I guess I'll just have to price one here in the metromess and see how much they are. Then buy the kit from MORE, and be done.

Go with the 8.8, you'll be very happy with it. I am extremely happy with mine. If the math says to use 4.10, go 4.56. Math doesn't account for the additional weight of the tires/wheels and the rolling mass.

As for the D30 you'll be fine. If by '96 running gear, you mean you have a '96 D30 then that's good because you have the 297 u-joint shafts. If not, get them.

Yeah, that's what it means. My '94 was 2wd when I bought it. I bought a '96 wrecked and have transferred the drive line. Looking around here looks like, i'll be transferring the brake booster and master cylinder also. I'm contemplating keeping the block since it supposedly is better than my '94 block too.

Thanks for the information on the 8.8. I'm all about aftermarket support, and if the 8.25 doesn't have as much support for gears, lockers, etc.. then I'm definitely sold on the 8.8.

As for the math, I am just a little concerned about figuring out how to fix the speedo for 4.56's.

I got 29 spline 8.25 complete with e brake cables and awesome condition brakes for 50 bucks! plus the 180 for gears and a buddy with an install kit and I have a regeared 8.25 for $230! not bad if you ask me.

Yeah, that's what it means. My '94 was 2wd when I bought it. I bought a '96 wrecked and have transferred the drive line. Looking around here looks like, i'll be transferring the brake booster and master cylinder also. I'm contemplating keeping the block since it supposedly is better than my '94 block too.

Thanks for the information on the 8.8. I'm all about aftermarket support, and if the 8.25 doesn't have as much support for gears, lockers, etc.. then I'm definitely sold on the 8.8.

As for the math, I am just a little concerned about figuring out how to fix the speedo for 4.56's.

Don't be. It will only be off by about 10% with the 33s If it really bothers you...you can put a correction speedo gear in it for about $25.

I have a locked, Disc. brakes swapped in, 29 Spline 8.25 in the rear, A good solid axle that works fine on the XJ.

But For all the trouble & expense of getting the 8.25 set up how I wanted it, If I had to do it over I would go for the much stronger 8.8, Not hard to find Factory equipped with 4.10s & disc. brakes & most I have seen are priced right (People seem to have ditched lots of old explorers because of the rollover issue).
Welding the spring pads/shock mounts onto the axle is a piece of cake for any good shop (+ you can get yourself some easy lift & eliminate the need for shims).
8.8 is the way to go!

See...another 8.8 fan!

Ok, now that you've made your decision, this thread should be locked down before the anti-8.8 crowd rears it's ugly head! (Really, they are just jealous they didn't spend less money to install the 8.8 :D)

Back