• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Problem (only in 4wd)

curbdog17

NAXJA Forum User
I have a dana 30 with an aussie locker it pulls to the right just a little on the road, but when i put it into 4wd offroad it pulls to the right hard. im running 33" boggers. what would cause this and how can i fix it?

Torque steer. with a locked front end, you'll notice this. the axleshafts are different lengths so they twist differently. the long side shaft will have much more give, allowing the short side to transfer power to the ground jsut ever so slightly first. this causes the PS tire to kinda drag pulling the jeep right, kinda like how a brake drag on a front wheel will cause it to pull to one side.

Torque steer. with a locked front end, you'll notice this. the axleshafts are different lengths so they twist differently. the long side shaft will have much more give, allowing the short side to transfer power to the ground jsut ever so slightly first. this causes the PS tire to kinda drag pulling the jeep right, kinda like how a brake drag on a front wheel will cause it to pull to one side.
thanks 4 the info

Aussie says tires should have equal pressure and the tires need to be within 3/8" diameter of each other.

Pull your tires, mark the sidewall and the floor, roll each tire one full rotation, mark the floor, measure the distances. You might be able to switch your tires around to get two equal tires on one axle.

Aussie says tires should have equal pressure and the tires need to be within 3/8" diameter of each other.

Pull your tires, mark the sidewall and the floor, roll each tire one full rotation, mark the floor, measure the distances. You might be able to switch your tires around to get two equal tires on one axle.
the tires only have like 1500 or less miles on them, could they be differnt in size?

Last edited:

WHAT? The shaft being longer doesn't mean that it takes longer to get the power to the end of the shaft. Not like these shafts are made of rubber. Cut a wooden dowel at 1 inch and another at 3 inches. Mark them and roll them on the table and you'll see what I mean.

Does it pull left before it pulls right?

Back