• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj charging problem

ode314

NAXJA Forum User
i just recently bought a work in progress 91 cherokee with a 4.7 stroker built from a 97 motor. while running the alternator doesnt charge the battery so it will only run for about an hour or so. if anybody has any suggestions or inputs it would be greatly appreciated. im new to this whole thing so i dont know very much about it, but im slowly learning. thanks in advance.

i just recently bought a work in progress 91 cherokee with a 4.7 stroker built from a 97 motor. while running the alternator doesnt charge the battery so it will only run for about an hour or so. if anybody has any suggestions or inputs it would be greatly appreciated. im new to this whole thing so i dont know very much about it, but im slowly learning. thanks in advance.

Sounds like you have a bad alternator or maybe voltage regulator! I cooked mine at Badlands a little over 3 weeks ago and it wouldn't hold a charge for very long.

i left that part out, the alternator and battery are both brand new. checked all the grounds. the only other thing i can think of is the ecu. but if that went bad wouldnt everything not work also?

The ECU contains the voltage regulator. An option is to rig up an old school voltage regulator. Should be able to find how if you search. Don't forget that 85% of the time the problem is the wires or connections, not the components. Just part of the ECU could be fried. Like if someone disconnected the battery cable while it was running.

Back