• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM/Mopar tire carrier sag

PapaPump

NAXJA Forum User
A coupla years back I purchased an OEM tire carrier (the second style, w/o the quarter mount), and just now got around to mounting it, now that I have 5 full size tires. I believe I mounted all of the pieces I recieved from the seller, but it seems obvious I'm missing something. Of course, since it's been sitting around the garage for 2 years, I might have had it at one point :D

Anyhow, I've searched around here and found some reference to a reinforcement that ties the end of the bumper into more of the unibody, but I need a visual. If anyone can describe or post up a pic of that piece, that'd be awesome. I'm pretty sure I can rig something up to make it not sag when I open it, but I'd rather copy Chrysler's engineers than jerry-rig it. Is the OEM peice adequate to begin with, or should I just go another route?

Lemme see wht you have. Do you mean this carrier? I have pics of my mounts & stuff, but I gotta find them. I'll look for the pics if this is the same carrier. My Jeep ...

reddy1.jpg

nice jeep, even stuck :D

it looks sorta like that, except the part that's normally behind the tire isn't round like that, it's more angular. The mounting area/plate looks very similar. If you have pics they could certainly be useful though. Thanks.

Well it's been months, but since the Jeep's outta commission with some cooling problems, I haven't really been doing much with it.

I found this thread today though:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=943903&highlight=tire+carrier+reinforcement

This picture gives me a nice clear picture of my missing piece. It's the L-shaped bit in the upper right. I'm pretty sure I could make that, but I'm lazy and the task seems daunting, with all that measuring and cutting and whatnot. I hope to just find one at the jy, but I almost feel bad about leaving the next guy with an incomplete carrier.

My question now, for those that have this setup or have better spatial visualization skills than my is: what does this bracket specifically attach to? It looks as if three of the bolts on the bottom of the bumper/carrier attach along the bottom and that it ties into the two outside bumper bolts on the rear bulkhead. Does anyone else see something different here?

Back