• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new muffler smoking

jonnywong

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys quick question. Just installed a new muffler (cat back) and the install went smooth but now im seeing some smoke come from it after it heats up. Everything seems to run fine but after about 5 minutes or so, or whenever i really push the jeep, the muffler will start to smoke out of the seams and tailpipe. Didint have this problem before installing the muffler. The check engine light also comes on after a few minutes which may or may not be related. I used copper RTV on the adapter fitting in front of the muffler - but this is high temp and shouldnt burn up right?

'95 4.0

You'll get some junk burning out of the new pipes and muffler for a day or so.

thats what i was hoping to hear. also, any idea why the check engine light would go on after it warms up?? i have no code reader so i can really only guess maybe a bad o2 sensor.

ill give it a shot, but how will i pull codes when the check engine light only comes on after a few minutes of driving? seems like the only way i can pull the code is if the check engine light is there immediately at start up...

Nevermind im an idiot...i see they are recorded. which gave me codes 12, 15, and 55...meaning i really just need to figure out wtf is wrong with the speedometer.

Nevermind im an idiot...i see they are recorded. which gave me codes 12, 15, and 55...meaning i really just need to figure out wtf is wrong with the speedometer.

Nope not an idiot, as that implies an inability to learn. I prefer temporarily ignorant, meaning you just didn't know at the time but figured it out. :}

So is the speedo reading correctly? I'm wondering if you hit the wiring to the speed sensor in the xfer case when you were doing the tranny work? If you had the sensor pulled out, it may not be clocked correctly. It needs to go in in a certain orientation depending on what speedo gear is installed.

i did tear pretty much the entire tcase apart but dont really remember much about the speedo - it wasnt giving me any problems originally. I guess ill unplug it and see if anythings loose or looks funny in there, although not really sure what to look for. it is quite possible the orientations off, ill take a look tomarrow.

Back