• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition switch problem

y-townxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 xj, and just recently the key started coming out of the ignition while it is running. Then shortly after the radio, wipers, blower motor, and cig lighter quite, they will somtimes work, if you hold the key in just the right position. I am tired of the b.s, can I just wire a switch in to the portion of the fuse block that supports these items, or will a new ignition tumbler fix this?

You should replace the key lock cylinder, and then adjust the ignition switch and remote rod at the foot of the steering column for good measure.

On my 2000, I had good improvement by pulling our the lock cylinder and working lockease liquid graphite oil though it. Then I cleaned the excess off and reinserted it. It's working good now for a few months.

You should replace the key lock cylinder, and then adjust the ignition switch and remote rod at the foot of the steering column for good measure.

This is the fix. The tumbler pins are worn and the replacement is a new cylinder. Heavy keychains with more than the carkeys and remote cause this.

The ignition switch is at the base of the steering column and needs adjustment to get into the correct index. It's a GM style setup, you will need patience and a service manual (anyway) to replace the key cylinder. Also, a steering wheel puller, and lock plate remover.

Sure, you can ghetto rig a switch for it, but that's exactly what you'll have, and to wire it right, you have to know enough to have done the right thing anyway.

I spent two hours on Sunday advising a customer on this for his friend's Cherokee, three trips into the store. He made an all day ordeal out of it and quit. It's not that complicated - but I can say that it's not for the faint of heart. And a screwed up column seriously detracts from enjoying your Jeep.

Back