• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i have a 89 xj with a new 4.0

max98059

NAXJA Forum User
i have a new 4.0 in my 89 xj and yesterday i was making a right on red and it backfire out the exhaust blowing blueish black smoke out and i got it to fire up one time and it did the same thing but it was the intake. dose anyone have any advice or ideas what it could be and the motor only has 6000miles on it.

ok so i went out to check to see if the rotor turns and it dose turn but it has a really had time turning over with all the plugs in. i have removed all but the first two plugs and did a compression test on 3-6 and it reads abt 140 pis and a low of 130 pis

ok so i went out to check to see if the rotor turns and it dose turn but it has a really had time turning over with all the plugs in. i have removed all but the first two plugs and did a compression test on 3-6 and it reads abt 140 pis and a low of 130 pis

Why not the first two plugs?

They are harder to get to...

As Paul Harvey would say... "And now, for the rest of the story..."

You really need to pull all of the plugs, inspect them, and rerun your compression test.

I consider that pretty low, but we have reliable reports of running good down to 80PSI. But that is certainly no 6000 mile motor. (unless the rebuid was FU) You do know that it should be 120 to 150.

Back