• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stock slip yoke for sye?

ricot83

NAXJA Member #1297
Can I take the slip yoke on the back of my case, cut it down and bolt it in place and use that as a sye? then attach a front drive shaft to it?????

I read a lot of info on this but am very confused.

No its a different type of slip yoke, you'd have to cut off the transfer case output shaft to do that no good. You can use a front shaft from another jeep and modify it to work on yours with a sye kit. The slip yoke on that shaft is in the middle instead of at the end.

so basically i would jsut do the re hack n tap and get the spicer part and a front shaft?

next question, the seal and seal flange included in the RE kit for the pre 96 tcases basically just eliminates that long tail cone correct???? if so i can still use my stock slip yoke and shaft that are on there right now just while i am waiting for the funds to come for the rest of the parts correct?

i guess what i am saying is can i put this flange and seal on now and still run the same configuration i am for the time being so i have part of the job done already?

Wait I got a question, how come everyone says there is no heavy duty kit for the 242? I know a guy who had the output shaft and everything replaced, like in the 231, except it was for his "00 242 case. I searched and couldn't really find any, but I know I had seen them a while ago, when I was originally looking at SYE's, and my mechanic also remembers this, because he was the one who installed it.

begster said:
Wait I got a question, how come everyone says there is no heavy duty kit for the 242? I know a guy who had the output shaft and everything replaced, like in the 231, except it was for his "00 242 case. I searched and couldn't really find any, but I know I had seen them a while ago, when I was originally looking at SYE's, and my mechanic also remembers this, because he was the one who installed it.

There is none. Just because you swap a shaft over does not mean it is a different one to stock in streangth other than having been made shorter for you and drilled and tapped. There are a few companies out there that do that on a exchange basis. Nothing HD about it. :(

Back