• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My AW4 shifter. a stick shift in an automatic

Jimbo_1321

NAXJA Forum User
well I've been wanting an AW shifter for a while, so I decided to go ahead and make one. it was quite a bit of work but I think it was well worth it now that it's done.
I had to make a circuit board and write a full program for the thing.
it turned out really clean IMO.
I also installed some LED indicator lights as you can see.
the green are for the gears, basically however many are lit up = the gear you're in
the red ones are for when the shifter is on and for when the torque converter is locked.
when you first turn the shifter on it goes straight to 4th gear and all four green lights flash until you take the shifter out of position and put it into whichever gear you want.
anyways, enough talk. here's some pics!
let me know what you think
:D

CIMG3403.jpg

CIMG3405.jpg

CIMG3406.jpg

CIMG3404.jpg

I guess you don't like putting it in D and just driving? :dunno: Its cool but i don't see the point!

I guess you don't like putting it in D and just driving? :dunno: Its cool but i don't see the point!

like the ability to lock it into first gear?
as well as locking the torque converter whenever I'd like.
I've noticed an increase in MPG as well.

oh and it's easier to beat the ricers at the stop lights!

isnt there a lag between the shifting, and when the actual tranny shifts?
or did you fix that problem... i have a fuzzy memory of brettm's setup...

either way, kick ass

isnt there a lag between the shifting, and when the actual tranny shifts?
or did you fix that problem... i have a fuzzy memory of brettm's setup...

either way, kick ass

there is.
it's approximately half a second lag.
it's really not too bad, though it is there...

cool, i thought it was much more pronounced...
this would be a cool mod, and if you need it, it is.
but it seems a little bit incomplete to me... now youve got twice as much/many control/controls.... but nowhere to put a drink from the drive thru.... or room to think...

definately function over form.... but my xj is too small inside as-is!

Last edited:
cool, i thought it was much more pronounced...
this would be a cool mod, and if you need it, it is.
but it seems a little bit incomplete to me... now youve got twice as much/many control/controls.... but nowhere to put a drink from the drive thru.... or room to think...

definately function over form.... but my xj is too small inside as-is!

what?
I still have two cupholders! :D
I put it where the ashtray was cuz I don't smoke

very sweet setup. ive been planning on getting one of those shifters and also mounting in the ashtray location if i dont build a custom console. what sort of circuit board did you have to make in order to get the shifter to work properly? that is the one thing i havent been able to figure out yet.

but it seems a little bit incomplete to me...

how is it incomplete out of curiousity?
there's nothing else it could do...

very sweet setup. ive been planning on getting one of those shifters and also mounting in the ashtray location if i dont build a custom console. what sort of circuit board did you have to make in order to get the shifter to work properly? that is the one thing i havent been able to figure out yet.

a pretty complicated one.
do you have any experience in programming?

Actually with out the ash tray in there a 20oz bottle fits perfect. I find that out when I first got my 97+ center console. But I ditched the 3rd cup holder for a change bin once I found an ashtray at the JY.

id like to see a schematic for the board you built if you dont mind sharing, thanks

Back