• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

IAC help

mitsumotors

NAXJA Forum User
I'm not sure if the Idle Air Control is working? When I disconnect the IAC harness while the engine is running it doesn't change anything it just keeps idling the same. and when I pulled the IAC out and looked at it the pintle does not move in and out freely when i try to push it in and out. is it supposed to?:dunno:

What year? Irregardless of the year I wouldn't push or pull the IAC. In the Renix it is a tiny worm gear and subject to physical damage if forced.
I also would not try to watch it function out of the TB with the harness connected. I tried that once and launched my IAC piston clear across the driveway.
Pretty much all it does is set itself for an acceptable idle, open some when the throttle is released (so it doesn't stall) and park itself so you have enough air for a start, without using the gas pedal. It does do a little more than that, but those are it's predominant functions.
In the Renix you can look down the IAC opening with a flashlight with the motor running, work the throttle a little and watch the piston (pintle) move.
Since I have sorted out my charging system and battery (the IAC takes a good voltage to function well) and learned to keep the piston and seat clean (twice a year) and to let a little synthetic oil run behind the piston (without moving it), I've had no trouble what so ever on the Renix or OBD I type IAC.
I avoid using solvents to clean them and instead use a spray oil, the IAC is lubed from the manifacturer (grease behind the piston/pintle on the drive gear), I tend to avoid washing this out with solvents.

its a 91. when the engine is running and i pull the harness off the IAC and the engine just keeps idling without skipping a beat doesn't this seem strange?

its a 91. when the engine is running and i pull the harness off the IAC and the engine just keeps idling without skipping a beat doesn't this seem strange?
It will usually only move if you work the throttle by hand a little, add or subtract some air. Open the throttle (with the motor running), it should close or minimize a little, close the throttle it should open a little. The movement is hard to see in the later models, due to the deign of the IAC air opening.
People have been known to open it for a good idle, then unplug it and have it run well enough. Though this may likely mess with emmision testing.

You must be used to system similar to Ford's. On a Ford if you unplug it, it will idle VERY low or even die, not the case with the Jeep\GM unit. The Jeep one only moves in or out when it is told to by the ECM.

Back