• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help with ODB1 codes please

mitsumotors

NAXJA Forum User
I just did a code check and it had the following codes:

12- Battery Disconnect
51- Fuel System Lean

so what could be the cause of a lean fuel system? I figured if anything i was running rich with the 8-10mpg on the highway i'm getting. :dunno:

Hallo. Well, it can be a bad Oxygen sensor.
When the fuel mixture isn't right, you can check the vacuum system too. Also the CTS can be bad and give a wrong info (short) to the ECU. ;)

'92 XJ

Last edited:
I just replaced the oxygen sensor like a year ago. i guess it could still be bad though? how can i check it?
and do you mean check the vac system for leaks? I think that the vac system may have a vary small leak on the cruise control end because when i have the cruise set on the highway it stays at the right speed but my vac gauge jumps around every so often?
also, what is the CTS?
Thanks for the help!

yeah, i just replaced the CTS a couple weeks ago with one from a junk yard. could be bad too though. i'll test all the sensors today. and also, is there a way to check the O2 sensor?

Critical sensors for fuel trim (before it gets burned):
MAP - Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor.
IAT - Intake Air Temperature sensor. (These two are used to calculate the amount of air going into the engine, and adjusts fuel input accordingly.)
TPS - Throttle Position Sensor. Used to give expected engine loading information. Combined with the temperature/pressure readings to determine expected fuel requirements.

The HEGO (Heated Exhaust Gas Oxygen sensor) is used to form a "feedback loop" by taking an oxygen content signal from the exhaust gas. For 1991-up XJ, it's essentially a special ceramic "air battery" that generates a voltage based upon the difference in oxygen content between a sampled gas (your exhaust stream) and a standard gas (a sample of outside air.) If the fuel is trimmed properly, there should (theoretically) be no oxygen left in the exhaust - I believe the typical trim is to allow a very slight amount of oxygen (slightly lean fuel delivery) - principally since the HEGO measures oxygen content, and doesn't monitor HC or CO (unburned fuel or partially-burned fuel, respectively.)

A failed/failing HEGO sensor can cause poor fuel economy, but the engine controls will usually fail into "open loop" mode, which would be rich fuel trim. This means decreased fuel economy, elevated HC and CO, depressed NOx (in most cases. Not so much for us, we've low-compression engines,) and slightly depressed operating temperatures. If you run rich enough long enough, you'll also get a strong smell of gasoline from the engine oil - pulling the dipstick is enough to tell this. (Extended rich running also results in accelerated cylinder/ring wear, due to oil washdown. More on that if you like.)

Lean fuel trim usually results in a slight increase in fuel economy, depression of HC and CO, increase in NOx (due to elevated combustion temperatures,) increase in operating temperatures, and possible damage to metal engine components (melted/cracked/warped valve heads, melted/pitted piston decks, &c.)

To recap: A "rich" fuel trim condition is usually a result of a failed/failing HEGO sensor (in most cases,) while a "lean" fuel condition would be a combination of a faulty HEGO sensor signal and failed/failing fuel trim sensors (check MAP/IAT/TPS first. CTS after those three check out. Typical culprits on non-EGR engines would be MAP/TPS - for RENIX, you would check IAT first, since it gets crapped up with carbon from the EGR.)

Back