• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift Question...

kingskippy2001

NAXJA Forum User
Can I use a 3" coil/aal and a 1.5" coil spacer/block together? So can I run a "budget boost" and a 3" coil/aal? I am on a tight budget, as i'm sure most people are these days. What problems will I run into? Thanks for any and all help.

you can do that, it's not the best way, but who cares....

might want to replace that aal/block with a custom made bastard leaf pack and shackle system... the block/aal will sag in no time, and allow axle wrap which will cause driveline issues. definately the weakest link.

you will want to use control arm drop brackets to improve the ride though...

and you may run into the need for a slip yoke eliminator, depending on what year xj you have.

nothings so simple...

I suggest looking at bastard packs, longer shackles, and a boost block up front. Stay away from lift blocks in the rear. Also keep in mind you will have to deal with other issues if you lift it, like the sway bar links, driveshaft length, shock length etc.

I bought mine with a similar lift. 3" coils+2" spacer in front, 2" Bastard pack and 1.5" shacle in back, 1" TC Drop and longer shocks for 4.5" overall lift. Thats it, I am in the process of correcting mistakes and upgrading.
The ride is very rough, need drop brackets. Front axel is of set by 3/4", need trackbar. Front swaybar rubs coil, Relocation block or extended links. In the rear I'm going to either get new lift spring or build a new B-pack using new HD stock springs and S-10 or Durango packs. Goal 4-5" of lift.
xj1.jpg

Can I use a 3" coil/aal and a 1.5" coil spacer/block together? So can I run a "budget boost" and a 3" coil/aal? I am on a tight budget, as i'm sure most people are these days. What problems will I run into? Thanks for any and all help.

yes you can do that for height, but what are you going to do about control arms, trackbar, shocks. brake lines, driveline...

yes you can do that for height, but what are you going to do about control arms, trackbar, shocks. brake lines, driveline...

Well put. And I'd add steering, armor, SYE and gears. . If I see another thread with the plan to stack a budget boost and a 3" lift and call it a 4-5" lift, I think I'll puke. You've got nothing more than kludged together HEIGHT with that approach and as noted, you will be:

. . .correcting mistakes and upgrading. . .

The problems with these repetitious threads is that you'll get just enough responses to encourage you to try it because the experienced people with well-built rigs have grown tired of saying, "DON'T DO IT!"

the guy said money was tight so if you would like to pay for his lift you should just shut it down. there was really no need for you to comment. It is people like you that make these forums unbearable.

the guy said money was tight so if you would like to pay for his lift you should just shut it down. there was really no need for you to comment. It is people like you that make these forums unbearable.

If money is tight then: LEAVE IT AT 3 INCHES !" at that height, it's very capable, and geometry isn't too far off. I went from 3 to 4.5 on a TIGHT budget with steeply discounted parts, trades for labor, etc. Long Arms, Gears, Lockers, Sliders, Dana 44, improved brakes etc. cost me over $3,000. . . Going to 4.5 or more opens is NOT A TRIVIAL task - it opens a whole new can of worms - SEARCH, it's been covered before. A hacked together approach to get that kind of height will make it less capable off-road, and dangerous on-road.

My point is simple: The experienced people who know this have tired of commenting.

I know he sounds like Jack**s but he's right if your on a budget maybe you should save your money for the stuff you really need and run it the way it is for now until you CAN afford to do it right. Another thing is if you rig it together now it will wind up costing you more in the end to get what you want anyway. The jump from 3" to 4.5" WILL in the end run you a few thousand, that's why you see so many XJ's with 3" lifts. Please spend some (alot) of time in the FAQ sections EVERY answer to every question you will every have is in there.

Well I would stay at 3" for now. Collect your needed parts like adj tracbar, Adj LCA's maybe drop brackets, discos, extended brake lines and shocks. I would also look into getting a slip yoke eliminator. Then add your 1.5-2" spacer and shackle and put it all together.

Going from my 2" BB to 4.5" will cost me maybe 600-700$ buying all the things I need to drive and hold up safely.

You ignorant little infant...:nono:

STFU!!!

But yea man... just stick with a 3" BB and call it done... trying to get high cheap will only cause more pain and money blown on fixing the things you over looked just by jacking it up...

Back