• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP207 Cable driven speedo gears??

Psychosis5150

NAXJA Forum User
Been searching for a while now with no luck. I have a 86 Laredo. 2.8 V6, 5 speed(not sure which one yet), NP207 TC and need to correct my speedo for my 8.25 rear/front D30 with 3.55 gears in them. I'm running 235/75/15's on it. The only info/gear charts I can find are for 87 and up, and I'm not sure if they will work on mine.. I plan on going with 4.10 or 4.56 in the future, but for now with a 100 mile round trip to work all week it would be nice to know how fast I'm going! Any help suggestions? Oh yeah, got another question. I'm looking to get rid of the crappy GKN front DS and know I need one from a 90+ 4 cyl 5speed and a 231 front yoke. What years/models have the 231? Also what size socket do I need for the retaining nut on the 231 yoke? I'd hate to get to the local U pull it and not have the right tools.. Thanks in advance.
Dave

If you loosen the nut on that GKN DS, the shaft will re-center in the CV. The DS works up to around 3". Anything 87 and up used a 231, not sure if the spline count will be the same on the yoke though. Reference DS tech-MadXJ http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/SRdriveshafts/driveshafttech.htm

I have never heard of a 2.8L coming with 3.55s. 3.73 was normal for manuals, 4.10 for automatics - OH!, I see, there's been an axle swap.

You could look at a conversion chart, but I'm pretty sure you could go with 4.10s and 30" tires and come out the same as stock (205X75X15 and 3.73 gears). I've seen a source for the speedo gears, but I can't think of it right now.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. About re-centering the CV, could that cure or at least help the popping and binding I'm getting? I'm pretty sure it's toast as I can get about 1/4" of side to side play wiggling it.. Is the CV rebuidable? Not lifted yet BTW, soon though.. Have to let my wallet recover from buying this heep and getting it road worthy. The entire steering system was shot, steering box, tie rods, ball joints, trackbar and it's axle end mount was torn up pretty bad. Every bushing front and rear, the leaf spring bushings were almost gone:puke:. I also did the sway bar links, u joints, motor/trans mounts, and exhaust from the manifolds back so far. It's saving grace is the rust free floor and rockers, and the price.. Guess the point is regearing is a ways out and I really don't want to make it take longer by giving the state patrol my money for speeding tickets lol!

IF the poor GKN is JNK, there's no way around it. There really is no rebuilding that shaft for the cost of a JY slipjoint shaft and a yoke, though I have dissasembled them, greased them up good, and called it good until I could replace it.

A cheap/easy methode of calibration would be to grab a GPS, drive roads at the posted speed on the GPS and write down the number your Speedo indicates. Speedo accuaracy goes in % so the greatest error would be at 65, and the least would be at 25. I have yet to install a set of gears for the speedo. I take the GPS out once, do the calibration in my head, and I'm done. You will want to figure that % out, as your odometer will be off that amount, and if you figure gas mileage, you will need that to correct your odometer figure.

You can also get a in-line adaptor to adjust the gears.

Back