• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

homemade rack

SUA SPONTE

NAXJA Forum User
Only 7 days left untill i'll find myself in moab, and i have way too many projects.
1.Fitting my old snorkel and ditching the stock airbox
2.Route OX cable
3.trim fenders
4.build some sort of storage system for the cargo area......on and on.
Im happy i finally have a roof rack. After trying (and failing, but thanks anyway ecksjay) to get olympic 4x4 products to sell me just the mounts they use with the top hat, i talked to ixnayxj and he had the great idea of just welding the damn thing on.
I was affraid that it would turn out looking like crap and it kinda did. I think thats mostly because I also have the sliders and rear bumper od-xj fabed up that look so clean anything I attempt to build fails in comparison. Anyway its not the prettiest thing but its strong and functional.

P3250426.jpg

the roof line curves slightly. Bending the tube to match was the hardest part.
P3260429.jpg

P3260430.jpg

P3260434.jpg

P3260431.jpg

on the very last weld of the project i heard what sounded like a kernal of corn popping. I didnt even have to look under the fire blanket to know what had happened. Im not sure if I let the body get too hot or if a spark did it.
P3260435.jpg

P3260438.jpg

just have to clean it up a bit amd paint it.......and then fix my window

Last edited:
Back