• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP! wont stay running

88xjman

NAXJA Forum User
Alright so i crank over my xj it starts, the rpms shoot up to 2500 upon starting like most 88's and as soon as i touch the gas it just dies. Unless i put the pedal to the floor when starting it and i can get the rpms higher than 3500 then it will run but only above 3500 rpms if it goes any lower it just dies, even when my foot is on the pedal giving it light throttle. It still dies when i do not have my foot on the pedal when i start it but not as dramatically as if i were pushing the gas. please help me out guy.

what iv replaced since this occured- EGR valve, cps, ips, tps, cap and rotor, wires, plugs, and fuel filter.

Iv checked the vacuum lines and havent found any leaks. Maybe its the maF?:dunno: whats another expensive ass sensor lol.

Last edited:
Renix grounds:

Battery to engine block.

Starter relay to fender well.

Back of head to firewall.

Three wires grounding at dipstick tube (really stupid, but that is what they did).

wellllllllllllll:confused:.... I checked the grounds and cleaned them up none were caroaded. now its down the schucks! maf sensor, my last resort wish me luck guys

You are wasting your time replacing sensors. Do you have a multimeter? $4-$8. How do you even know that the sensors you put in were good? Most sensors have a known resistance and voltage in / voltage out that needs to be checked. At least 85% of the time, the wiring or connectors are bad, not the sensor. Do you have a multimeter? I'm sure it is way cheaper than the sensor you want to replace that isn't going to solve your problem.

You are wasting your time replacing sensors. Do you have a multimeter? $4-$8. How do you even know that the sensors you put in were good? Most sensors have a known resistance and voltage in / voltage out that needs to be checked. At least 85% of the time, the wiring or connectors are bad, not the sensor. Do you have a multimeter? I'm sure it is way cheaper than the sensor you want to replace that isn't going to solve your problem.

ya i have a multimeter what am i gunna test? i just got back with my maf so im gunna install it and see how that goes. i wish i wouldv read ur thread b4 i left

ya i have a multimeter what am i gunna test? i just got back with my maf so im gunna install it and see how that goes. i wish i wouldv read ur thread b4 i left

MAF??? Mass Air Flow sensor was not used on the Renix engine management system. MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor bolts on the firewall and has 3 wires and one vacuum hose attached- maybe that's what you're thinking???

poor running at certain RPM and difficult starting could be caused by a bad MAP sensor, but more often the hose attached to it comes loose at the throttle body. I'd check that before I changed it.

pull the IAC motor and spray it's pintle and the hole it mounts into clean with some carb cleaner.

check for ANY loose vacuum hoses and make sure the intake manifold bolts have not loosened.

search for throttle position sensor testing values and put the multimeter to work setting it if it's out of range.

Once you've spent all of three bucks (assuming you needed to buy carb cleaner) you might think about borrowing/ buying a fuel pressure tester. These things are all known problems that can affect startup, idle, and driveability when faulty/ leaking. If, after that you still are having problems, you might need to dig deeper-- I'd start with the "free, except for time" checks and see where they lead you.

:yelclap:finely! it was a rotted out wire i couldnt tell you exactly what wire but i replaced the part that was rotted out with a section of good wire and its all good now! PARTY!

It always feels good when the work pans out. To me, the more pissed off I get while working on something, the better I feel when it's done. For next time, and there will be a next time, save that RENIX sheet on testing sensors and remember that 85% of the time the problem is the connection or the wires, not the component itself.

o ya man it felt awsome when it started. i was pretty fired up prolly couldv sold that thing for a dollar, hahaha just kiddin. I could never get rid of my xj. Anyone goin out to reider trails today or walker?

Back