• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sound/vibe from my rear axle?

xj_punk

NAXJA Forum User
so i just swapped in my xj44 and went and drove it and noticed a sound/vibe coming from the rear so i went and got new ujoints and put them in the driveline but first i took it for a spin with no rear driveline and i noticed still made the sound but a lot more faint... so i installed the driveline and put the rear on stands and put it in drive to listen and i figured it was the new brakes so i adjusted them and it still did it, so i decided to take off the drums and test it and it made the sound just as much...
upon further inspection the noise/vibe is coming from the passenger side of the axle, pretty much where the wheel bearing is. i can grab the axle with my hand and feel the vibe pretty good. its not a constant grinding sound like i figure a bad bearing would sound like, its more of an out of balance sound, kind of a woosh woosh woosh type of deal

so would you figure it is just a bad wheel bearing or a bent shaft or bent housing? what all could it be?

I'd start with the bearing, but inspect the shaft while it's out just in case.
A bad bearing won't actually grind until it's REAL bad, but can have the symptoms you are describing.

so i am holding a screwdriver against the wheel cylinder and just gently resting it right above the axle flange and i can see that it is not centered or bent ever so slightly when it spins and touches the screwdriver... kind of a ghetto dial indicator i guess. but what it comes down to is i have no way of knowing if this is because the bearing is bad and it is letting it spin weird or if the shaft is just plain bent... that is whats frustrating and also the fact jeep safari is like a week and a half away

Is there any excessive side play in the shaft? That could give you a false reading.
It could also indicate a bad wheel bearing since the 44 is semi-float and the bearings are preloaded (unlike c-clip applications).

Back