• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"Puffing" Exhaust

88XJSport

NAXJA Forum User
I was in the hatch area of my xj the other day, and it was idling, and i noticed every 10 or so seconds i would get a noticeable puff sound from my exhaust. The engine didnt miss at all, just a big puff from the exhaust, and it happens every 10 or 15 seconds. I thought the engine was missing, but it wasnt so i am stumped here. Any help is great. Thanks.

must have some kind of restriction in the exaust.
it builds pressure the lets go, how good is ur cat?

Would seafoam in the crankcase help with sticking valves? Ive used it in the intake, and i have heard that it could be used in crankcase to do what? PS engine has 163,000 on it.

mine gave out little puffs every once and a while too, it turned out there was a little cut in the spark plug cable and it was sparking against the engine block, i just put some RTV on it and no more puffs. I noticed it at night, i lifted the hood, and saw little flashes of light. Maybe check you wires...
-Allen

swbooking said:
mine gave out little puffs every once and a while too, it turned out there was a little cut in the spark plug cable and it was sparking against the engine block, i just put some RTV on it and no more puffs. I noticed it at night, i lifted the hood, and saw little flashes of light. Maybe check you wires...
-Allen
Hey looking at spark plug cables is easy enough, maybe ill try that. Thanks!

Mine smokes when the engine is hot and I’m idling at stoplights. Someone told me it might be the valve seats so I came here to look it up. How much would it run to get them replaced? Mine has 169K on it and is a 93 I6

93RugbyXJ said:
Mine smokes when the engine is hot and I’m idling at stoplights. Someone told me it might be the valve seats so I came here to look it up. How much would it run to get them replaced? Mine has 169K on it and is a 93 I6

more likely "valve guides", but u got the idea

93RugbyXJ said:
so anybody know how much $$$ its going to run me, It sounds like its something I need to let a mechanic do.

it all depends what ur going to do , but since ur going that far, should just rebuild the whole head.

there is a way to check the guides without taking it apart, I will try to remember.:lickout:

Thanks, but where do I get the tools and what do I do? I do moderate work to my truck, change oil, tranny fluid, install electronics and I have a basic idea but any info you could supply would be much appreciated.

all u need is a vacuum gauge, u can pick it up almost anywhere for around $15.00 , then just hook it up to a port on the intake, and bring engine upto operating temp and read vacuum gauge.

Back