• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlight problem

Slip Kid

That'll buff right out
I have a problem with the headlights on my 87 XJ. The lo beams do not turn on, however the high beams do when the switch is clicked. I tried a new dimmer switch and this did not solve the problem. There's no fuse under the dash marked as headlamps so I do not know if that is the problem. Help!

Have you checked the headlamps to see if both low beams are possibly burnt out?

They are not burned out, checked that. There's got to be a fuse somewhere?

Don't know if it will help but my 1990 ESM has the following:

Fuse 4--FL/PASS, 15/BL, Headlamp Dimmer Switch

Fuse 11--HD LP/DLY, 25/WT, Headlamp Delay Module

Fuse 15--PARK, 10/RD, Headlamp Switch

Fuse 17--GAUGES, 7.5/VT, Headlamp Delay Module

Sorry, but my chump ass Haynes does not have the headlight circuit for anything but 1997 and later XJs.

No fuse per se, a fuse link at the starter relay, and a circuit breaker built into the headlamp switch. But it is shared with the highbeams so you are probably ok fuse wise. Seems like I remember reading about a connection around the air cleaner box that would cause problems. Might trace the wiring from the headlamps back towards the firewall and see if there are any connections to the harness that need attention!

Any luck finding this problem? My son's '87 XJ Waggy has the same problem and my weakness when it comes to home auto repair is always electrical and I had no luck tracking down his problem a few weeks back.

Now the Hi and Low headlights are gone so something has tanked and I wanted to see if you fixed your problem.

I would just go old-school on it.

12v test light and a multimeter. Headlight switch on test for volt at the head light connector--power for high beam, lo beam, and a ground. While there test ohms of the ground (never attach ohm meter to a live circuit!). No joy, then follow the harness upstream testing at each connector until you find the open in the circuit.

Not the fastest way, nor the easiest way, but it is the way that will lead to success--eventually. Testing that one circuit should not take more than 1 hour.

I cleaned the connector that goes to the front clip (behind left headlight), and it seems to have fixed the problem.

Thanks guys.
I found it.
The ground wire for the relay/delay shutdown safety switch under the dash... hard as all get out to find...
This thing is screwed to the metal cross member under the steering column.

Thanks guys.
I found it.
The ground wire for the relay/delay shutdown safety switch under the dash... hard as all get out to find...
This thing is screwed to the metal cross member under the steering column.

You didn't happen to take any pics? Is this a stray ground wire, or something that you noticed pretty easily? Is it a black wire? My son's headlights have been out for about 3 months now and I'm trying to get ideas so that if he ever makes time to get it fixed I can lend a hand w/things to check.

You didn't happen to take any pics? Is this a stray ground wire, or something that you noticed pretty easily? Is it a black wire? My son's headlights have been out for about 3 months now and I'm trying to get ideas so that if he ever makes time to get it fixed I can lend a hand w/things to check.

I did not take pictures... Sorry...

There is a wire plugged into the back of the headlight switch. it runs down in the mess a little way, and then screws into the metal cross member of the dash to the left of the steering column. the wire screws into the same hole as the headlight delay timer switch.

yes its a black wire.

if you take the lower dash panel off its right there and easy to get to.

here is a link to a forum that they were talking about it
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=928188
If you have a problem finding it let me know i will take mine apart and snap a pic for you...

Last edited:
Back