• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Pump Question???

XJ Stryker

WHO DAT!
I am getting ready to clean the underside of the engine. I am replacing the timing chain, front seal, rear main, oil pan gasket and the oil pump.

I am looking to get a better oil pump though seeing how this is a OLD 87 waggy.

When wheeling my Oil pressure gets down to 1-3 psi. So I know I got some gunk down there and the pump is going out.

Check out this pump and tell me what you think. Seems like a good deal. If you have a better place to pick up a oil pump please let me know!

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...908279+4294840046+4294904038+115&autoview=sku

I am getting ready to clean the underside of the engine. I am replacing the timing chain, front seal, rear main, oil pan gasket and the oil pump.

I am looking to get a better oil pump though seeing how this is a OLD 87 waggy.

When wheeling my Oil pressure gets down to 1-3 psi. So I know I got some gunk down there and the pump is going out.

Check out this pump and tell me what you think. Seems like a good deal. If you have a better place to pick up a oil pump please let me know!

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...908279+4294840046+4294904038+115&autoview=sku

Have you tried running 15W-50 mobil one & A quality filter (M1, WIX, K&N)?
My oil pressure while weeling would drop to near zero with 10W30 (After I stopped & Let it idle), Then I switched to M1 15W-50 + An M1 filter, It now drops to only around 15Psi on a hot day of wheeling!

Have you tried running 15W-50 mobil one & A quality filter (M1, WIX, K&N)?
My oil pressure while weeling would drop to near zero with 10W30 (After I stopped & Let it idle), Then I switched to M1 15W-50 + An M1 filter, It now drops to only around 15Psi on a hot day of wheeling!

I run 15w-40 rotella and a nice mobile one filter so it isn't that. It is just an ole tired engine prolly on its last leg. Hoping to get another 50,000 miles out of her though!

I run 15w-40 rotella and a nice mobile one filter so it isn't that. It is just an ole tired engine prolly on its last leg. Hoping to get another 50,000 miles out of her though!

Go to a 50W oil, You will be suprised by how much the heavy oil helps!

I run M1 10W-40 winter & M1 15W-50 summer
The oil Pressure with the 15W50 is around 10-15 psi higher than the 10W40.
The reason I run the 10W40 in the winter is that I am afraid of starting the engine with the Heavy oil when it is really cold outside, it might be too thick for cold morning starts!

Also, I would give the engine a good flush using some ATF or diesel befor I starte the work you plan on doing, You will be suprised by the amount of crap that it cleans out!

Last edited:
Also, I would give the engine a good flush using some ATF or diesel befor I starte the work you plan on doing, You will be suprised by the amount of crap that it cleans out!

Hmm I have been flushing my engine for a while now! ATF- kerosene- diesel- seafoam all the gunk removal brands lol.

I have been doing it with every oil change for about a year now! I have been changing my oil every 1000- 1500 miles so I have gotten everything out chemically that I think I can LMAO. Time to get the ole scraper out. Plus I got a small drip at the rear main and front seal. I hate leaks!!! Might as well change in a oil pump. There was a thread a while back call CLeaning the rockers that is my initial thread when I realized i need to clean my engine.

If you're going to go HV, consider cleaning up the cylinder head surface around the oil drainbacks, on the passenger side. You don't want all of your oil volume to end up on top of the head, and for your pickup to find it can't pick anything up (I've seen it happen before on other engines. No, thank you.)

Hmm I have been flushing my engine for a while now! ATF- kerosene- diesel- seafoam all the gunk removal brands lol.

I have been doing it with every oil change for about a year now! I have been changing my oil every 1000- 1500 miles so I have gotten everything out chemically that I think I can LMAO. Time to get the ole scraper out. Plus I got a small drip at the rear main and front seal. I hate leaks!!! Might as well change in a oil pump. There was a thread a while back call CLeaning the rockers that is my initial thread when I realized i need to clean my engine.

If you have been doing all that flushing don't be suprised if you find the oil pump screen blocked up!
I hope something this simple turns out to be the problem!
Good Luck!

Well took it all apart last night. Everything is looking a lot cleaner than expected! Posted up pics in my build thread

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=945280&page=15

For 22 years old the underside is pretty clean I guess there is some truth to all the seafoam, tranny fulid, diesel or motor gunk flush.

Everything seems to be pretty good I am hoping now that it is just the pump going out.

Back