• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Plastic Weld Rates?

89heepxj

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know what the standard plastic weld rates are. I got a yakima box for free today with a couple good sized cracks and I want to know what the standard rate would be. Or what to expect when I call around tomorrow.

Anyone know what the standard plastic weld rates are. I got a yakima box for free today with a couple good sized cracks and I want to know what the standard rate would be. Or what to expect when I call around tomorrow.

where in WA are you??

way the hell up there. if you were closer id look around here for you. but i dont think you want to travel that far for just a little work

Do you think you can get a good reliable fix with it plastic welded?
It is a molded plastic (do you know what material, how much glass?).

Wouldn't it be better to just add some fiberglass inside and fill/paint the joint?

Michael

To bad you are so far away, i could get it done for free, the company i work for has a Fusion tank lining division and we got some nice plastic welders.

do it yourself, its way easier (IMO) than welding metal. Hell you can plastic weld with a heat gun and a screw driver. Look at harbor freight I know they have a cheap plastic welder. Its really useful, on bumpers and trim stuff like that.

Post up a picture.

Is this structural or cosmetic?
We don't want this thing coming apart on the freeway and taking out the car behind you!!

Michael

So why not try some Plastic epoxy with structural support (wood or plastic, or metal?). Or fiberglass as I mentioned earlier. Obviously MUCH less expensive and could be made to be much stronger if you add the appropriate support, cleaning proceedures, cure requirements, etc.

Seems like a "no brainer" to me, but I can't see what your working with ;)

Michael

id stay away from the welding man. i do fiberglass repair and tpo plastic repairs aswell...

go th the local napa or parts house. tell them u need a fusor product line book to look at. it is a 2 part adhesive that is spasificly desighned for doing just what ur doing.

i use the # 141 which is a fast set. ( done in 60 sec) they make all kinds of glues and spreadablw fillers for plastic.

th gun will cost u about 50 buks and a tube of glue can run upwards of 60 buks. but u will have plenty in a tube to do manny repairs. it has a self mixing tip that can be discarded and replaced so that u can continue usiong it...

heres a link to what im talking about. pm me if u need anymore help, and have fun!
http://www.lord.com/Home/ProductsServices/Adhesives/FusorAutomotiveAftermarketProducts/Products/PlasticAdhesives/tabid/3401/Default.aspx

oh yeah, beins ur in the frggin desert use the 152/153 or it will setup b4 u are done aplying the glue. it really fast!

Back