• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brights wont come on

89jeepie

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 89 xj and when i pull the turn lever back to turn the brights on my head lights turn off..ALL other lights stay on..then when i turn the dims back on they work.just no brights..changed the head lights out so its not the bulbs..is there a fuse or relay?..btw the brights indicator turns on.just no brights..help

There is a seperate fuse for each light, both high and low. Check the fuses.

Not on an 89. No outside fuse box either.

The headlight switch feeds power to the headlight selector switch, which then sends power to the appropriate set of headlights (and fogs if you have them). The switch should be under the dash near the base of the steering column. It might be easier to find if you have someone hitting the switch while you look for the rod moving and triggering the switch.

If you have a meter or test light, check for power coming out of the selector switch. Looking at a 88 FSM, the highbeam wire is white and the low is light-green. Might be different on an 88, though. If you have power there then the problem is likely in the wiring heading up front. Its curious that the dash light comes on, because the wiring schematic makes it look like that light is powered off the same wire that feeds the highbeams.

I am having the same problem on my 94 and only the drivers side. But my radio also turns on if you turn the lights on with the jeep off. The radio will also turn off if you dim the dash lights while driving.:dunno:

Back