• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

using condensor from a/c system as cooler for tranny?

95' heep

NAXJA Forum User
hey y'all

im building up my XJ on budget and i want to get tranny cooler for it.

i already want to remove the a/c system compoments (except compressor) and i thought why not leave the condensor in and convert the fittings on it so i can run some transmission cooler hoses to it and use it as tranny cooler???

any thought, love, hate, idea, insult about this idea of mine??

btw the heep will not see street again as i will have it be a "trailer queen" and a straight trail rig.

what i know, on the gm transmission they wont go in overdrive till the fluid's warm enough, idk if its same thing on the jeeps, but l am not concerned as it wont go that fast for going into over drive again.

1995 jeep cherokee 4 door D30 D35 np-231 auto tranny with OD

Should work just fine. Just flush all of the refrigerant residue and compressor oil out of it, the trans probably wouldn't run to well on it. Just have to be careful on some vehicles the orifice tube for the A/C is screwed into the condenser (full size Chevy trucks) that would make a nasty restriction, but on an early XJ, its way up at the firewall (orifice block, not tube on ours).

Go for it. I would run through it and then into the radiator trans cooler. That keeps the fluid from getting too cold, which transmissions don't always like either.

Seems like a lot of work compaired to a typical tranny cooler. Cut line, install cooler, add fluid and your good too go. Using the condensor you will have multiple trips to the hardware store for fittings, lots more strain on the front pump having to push the lots of extra fluid the extra distance.

Save youself the headache and go get a junkyard cooler and be done with it.

Parakeet

Get the right size cooler for you needs. Over cooling a trans is just as bad as over heating it. The A/C cond will be huge compared to a normal cooler.

Back