• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shackles and coil spacers

Swamprat

NAXJA Forum User
been reading up, and thinking about suspension components alot lately. i have some coil spacers that were going to go in my old XJ, and im running lift shackles (currently). i see some of you have spacers in your jeeps, good idea for a prerunner? and should i ditch the lift shackles for the stock ones? or get rid of both and run boomerangs?

I'm a little confused here about what you're trying to achieve. Coil spacers are for the front(coil springs). Lift shackles are for the rear(leaf springs). "Boomerang" shackles are just lift shackles with a bend in them to clear the frame as they lay back during spring flex(not really an issue with stock length springs).

So, if the question is,"Can I run coil spacers with stock springs, for prerun/jeepspeed? A. Yes, you can. The limit with stock springs is where you compress them enough that they reach coil bind(the coils touch each other) however, most people run aftermarket springs with higher spring rates for pre-running/racing.

If the q. is, "Should I get boomerang shackles?" A. Probably not for now. Stock length springs won't push a straight lift shackle into the frame. If you get lift springs(lift or higher/deeper arch springs will be longer when pushed out flat) you may need to consider boomerangs.

I understand exactly what you mean, and there's no problem with either. Coil spacers are a legit way of fine tuning lift height, and a longer shackle allows the spring to move more freely with longer travel leaves.

No issues.

Back