• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock Tranny Cooler.

JeepXJFan

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys, I am planning to be towing a 4000lb load this summer. I have stock gearing a 3.5in lift and 30's. It seems to pull great below 65mph, trailer has surge brakes so it stops pretty decent. My question is that I have a 97XJ country. When I replaced the radiator with a 3 core I noticed that I had a tranny cooler. Is the stock tranny cooler adequate for towing the load mentioned?

You can't go wrong with extra cooling for the trans. I have the largest cooler that I could find on my rig and it never pulls a trailer..

Nick

im wanting to upgrade my trans cooler as well. also i want this to be cheap but effectively.

im gonna remove the condenser, and other a/c compoments. and i thought why not i leave the condensor in and convert it into a trans cooler??????? i dont mind try this and i wont worry about the side effect of "over cooling" as i will use this as trail rig, trailer queen only.

any comment about this idea?? otherwise i will post a new thread on this in the modifying section

I would just get a good sized tranny cooler with a temperature bypass valve. An ac condenser might not have the flow you need. And I'd bypass the tranny cooler in the radiator, as that lets the radiator have better cooling for the engine coolant. To use another substitute like a condenser, you should test it for pressure drop.

How old is the cooler? Check it for lots of fin bent and/or comeing lose just like any other rad. If not it would be fine.
There is a lot of controversy about changing trainy fluid. In a SLUSH-O-MATIC If it's not regularly change.
(IMO) if you tow heavy and long you have got to change it from time to time. (20K or so). Cooler or not.
Change engine oil every 3.5 K when towing and the rest is standerd maintenance.

Why not stick with the stock trans cooler and change over to synthetic trans fluid?

Back