• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5" without s.y.e

jasonsxj

NAXJA Forum User
have 96 xj auto 4.0L h.0 has 3" on it now but soon to be 5" lift need to know if anybody else is running same setup without a s.y.e and hopefully has no problems without it thanks

That's going to be pushing it for any serious off-road use. You'll most likely have vibrations too.

I've been running around 5" of lift for 2 years now and just a TC drop and its been fine. I have the SYE ready to go in now though just wating to finish a bunch of other crap

I have a 90 with about the same amount of lift, I dropped the t-case an inch, had a 2* shim, and lengthened the drive shaft 1 5/8" before I swapped out the D35 for a D44. I had mild vibes at 25 MPH but fine otherwise, but with the axle drooped the drive shaft would bind. Since the swap I had to take an inch off the drive shaft and without any shims I get vibes at around 62mph but fine otherwise. I was still having binding issues and to alleviate that I removed some material approximately .060" from the yoke. As I was looking at it at full droop I realized that had I added shims it would have worsened the binding, so now I am researching options for the SYE and will be going that route in the near future. I would recommend it for you as well at this amount of lift.

Ed

yeah i know i need it but right now not in budget parts sitting on floor cant wait much longer to install i"ll fight that battle when it comes thanks alot

so no bad vibes and did it act ok offroad has anybody used the longer slip yoke from rustys, thanks

my understanding is that the longer slip yoke just has longer ears and provides better ujoint clearance. im at 4.5" with a 5sp(longer driveshaft), boomerange shackle, and shims and have no vibs on my 89, but i get ujoint binding at the slip yoke. im looking at getting the longer slip yoke for the clearance issue.

Back