• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me diagnose my speaker/wiring problem.

oldmustangjunkie

NAXJA Forum User
My passenger front door doesn't work. I pulled it out and tested everything. Here are the results:
Speaker resistance: 17 Ohm
Speaker wire voltages: ~6V (- or +) depending on which side I put the red lead in. The black lead was always going to ground. 0V with a red lead in one side and black lead in the other side of the connector. All tests were with the radio on.
Speaker wire resistance: 58 Ohm with the radio on.

Based on the above information, what is wrong with my Jeep? I'm tempted to say that it is the speaker since it should read around 2-8 Ohms, but the resistance seemed very high for the speaker wires too.

Halp I iz lost.

Test the speaker by attaching it to a different speaker location that works or to another radio.

The Cherokees very commonly have broken wires in or near the door hinge area and wire pass though boot. Simply run fresh wires from the interior foot well area to the speakers.

It seems like you need to unplug the speaker wire at the radio and test the resistance of the wire between the radio connection and the speaker connection. It should be close to zero ohms. If you don't have continuity (high ohms), your wire is broken. If you have continuity (zero ohms) from the disconnected wire to the body, you have a frayed wire touching the body somewhere (which would probably burn out your radio).

Just run some new wires from the radio to the speaker and bypass the factory wires. That's what I did for my driver's side door and it worked like a charm.

Back