• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No Thermostat?

CherokeeCrawler88

NAXJA Forum User
I noticed when i first bought my cherokee it ran cool and good but when i noticed corosion in the radiator i replaced with a new radiator al new fluid and new hoses top and bottom. I took the water pump and saw where the corrosion ate the thermostat up i was picking pieces of it out. i installed a thermostat along with a new water pump. I already knew cherokees are bad about running warm but it runs fine now but i feel like when i get it back on the trails it will get hot quick. Since this is a trail vehicle only and there is no actual sensor controlling the thermostat just a temp sensor that tells the cpu and guage what the temp is. Would it be ok if i ran it with no thermostat? I have a bunch of buddies that do this? I liked howit ran cooler when i first got it without one.Just might take a awhile to warm in in the winter but since the main purpose of the thermostat is to help warm the vehicle is well im not running any heater or air. Plus with no thermostat it want have any retriction and want have as much time to build up heat be a constant cool coolant flow.Let me know what ya'll think.
Thanks
Corey

If you don't mind that it's not ever going to reach it's operating temperature then it's fine. It's just a trail rig so whatever. It's not going to explode if you don't run the t-stat so just do it.....but you are band-aiding another problem somewhere.

Bad idea. Running without a thermostat leaves your computer running in rich mode. This uses more gas which contaminates your oil, washes your cylinder walls with gas promoting ring wear, and may foul out your plugs and catalytic convertor. In some vehicles it can also cause hotspots in the head, because the water flows in a different pattern. Don't do it.

Bad idea. Running without a thermostat leaves your computer running in rich mode. This uses more gas which contaminates your oil, washes your cylinder walls with gas promoting ring wear, and may foul out your plugs and catalytic convertor. In some vehicles it can also cause hotspots in the head, because the water flows in a different pattern. Don't do it.

Lol...winterbeater just expanded in great detail on what I meant by "If you don't mind that it's not ever going to reach it's operating temperature..."

The whole purpose of a thermostat is to help warm the air for the heater befor they put heaters in a vehicle they didn't have thermostats I got buddies that do it with race trucks no problem it will warm up enough not run rich it ran 170 175 without one now it runs 195 210 it will only be a trail rig the waterflow will be the same just flowing all time constantly cooling with us good no retrictiion

I think you're missing the point...it's supposed to run at 195. That's not a bad thing. If you're overheating on the trail, you have other problems. On a warm day, my closed system will idle for a while before needing the e-fan to be turned on...once it's on, I can let it idle for forever and it doesn't overheat.

Now, I did swap in the Dodge Intrepid coolant bottle with metal cap so I don't have to worry about the tank failing on me but that was a 10 minute swap that cost me $11....$10 less than a new cap alone for the OEM tank! But that's a separate issue...that's not why I can let it idle without worrying about it overheating.

Oh, and the purpose of a thermostat is also to bring the engine up to manufacturer stated operating temps....where the engine and all related components was designed to run at.

Another reason to run a thermostat, and the correct temperature one at that, is the thermostat creates a high pressure region within the engine block to help the coolant hold more heat. It also creates a low pressure region within the radiator that helps the coolant lose the heat. Seems to me that it's a pretty important piece of equipment that costs only 10 bucks to replace.

come on will it really hurt anything without it when i first got mine it didnt have on in it no telling how long the guy before me had it like that.

already answered....

my xj had a bad thermostat that was desigined to fail in the open position my truck never got up to temp ate fuel like a pig and had no power if your worried about your temp replace your radiator with a heavy duty unit replace the Thermostat with a heavy duty Thermostat from stant and add water wetter or purple ice

water wetter is discontinued at Advance Auto and selling for $9.95 until they're sold out-- regularly twenty something bones.

I just paid $10 for a bottle at Azone two weeks ago and thats all I've ever paid for it.

I ran without a tstat about 50 miles after overheating on the highway. No problems, but I dont think you would want to run like this for a long time. If you have cooling problems, swap to an open cooling system (assuming you have an 88).

I ran without a tstat about 50 miles after overheating on the highway. No problems, but I dont think you would want to run like this for a long time. If you have cooling problems, swap to an open cooling system (assuming you have an 88).

The open system will not be his fix if he has overheating issues. Replacing what is causing the overheating will.

The open system will not be his fix if he has overheating issues. Replacing what is causing the overheating will.

There is no proof that its overheating now. He said
I already knew cherokees are bad about running warm but it runs fine now but i feel like when i get it back on the trails it will get hot quick.

I think we should ask him why he feels like it will overheat quickly.

Why do you think it will overheat quickly?
What temp is it running?

For some reason mine over heated without one even down the freeway. Put the thermostat back in, it was fine agian.:dunno:

he has a brand new radiator and coolant everything was flushed and new hoses top and bottom and new water pump. I just figured without a thermostat it would run cooler a guy on Pirate 4x4 with a cherokee was telling me he runs his cherokee with no stat and hasnt got above 190 in 3 years.

he has a brand new radiator and coolant everything was flushed and new hoses top and bottom and new water pump. I just figured without a thermostat it would run cooler a guy on Pirate 4x4 with a cherokee was telling me he runs his cherokee with no stat and hasnt got above 190 in 3 years.

Dude...so we're almost to three pages of conversation about you worrying it's going to overheat on the trails? If you have done all that, you'll be fine. Although, I still recommend you go get a Dodge Intrepid coolant tank so you have a metal cap and not that crappy plastic one. It fits right in when you take the two 10mm bolts out that hold the shelf in.

You'll be fine. If it runs at 195, that's good. I have my e-fan on a switch so when I'm crawling I typically just leave it on unless my jeep is off. I don't have any issues. Stop sweating stuff before it happens!

Back