• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Omix Ada Leaf Spring Bushings - One Year Later

Markos

NAXJA Forum User
I wish I took a picture of this. I ordered Omix Ada leaf spring bushings from a reputable online vendor about a year ago. These were installed on my OME leafs. From the start, I had nothign but trouble with these bushings. I think they are for the wrong size. We had to bevel the metal edge of the bushings and the leaf spring to get them pressed in. After installed, I noticed that the metal sleeve for the leafe spring bolt was quite a bit larger than the actual leaf bolt, allowing for play. I figured that as long as the leaf was under the weight of the vehicle, this wouldn't matter much (like revolver shackles).

One year later, the bushings are cracking and falling apart on the edges. I'm really not looking forward to removing the leaf springs, and especially the bushings. Is it comomn for them to deteriorate after a single year?

How long did your original bushings last? My guess is longer than a year...check out rockauto.com, there you're dealing with Moog and Spicer, I think their prices for bushings are pretty competitive with omix-i think.

Is it comomn for them to deteriorate after a single year?
Most parts will survive less than a year when stuff like...
After installed, I noticed that the metal sleeve for the leafe spring bolt was quite a bit larger than the actual leaf bolt, allowing for play.
... is ignored, like I tried to do with your spelling (comomn? leafe?), but couldn't. :)

Most parts will survive less than a year when stuff like...

... is ignored, like I tried to do with your spelling (comomn? leafe?), but couldn't. :)

I apologize for the spelling. That post was particuarly bad.

I'm annoyed by the fact that the parts I ordered didn't fit right. After waiting for the bushings to arrive, dealing with their installations, then installing the leafs, I figured it was best to see how they would perform. I'm wondering if the extra play in the bushing causes the rubber to hit the leaf bracket when flexing.

I apologize for the spelling. That post was particuarly bad.
Ya, I just had to get a dig in. :)

I'm annoyed by the fact that the parts I ordered didn't fit right. After waiting for the bushings to arrive, dealing with their installations, then installing the leafs, I figured it was best to see how they would perform. I'm wondering if the extra play in the bushing causes the rubber to hit the leaf bracket when flexing.
Not sure where the contact is coming from, but excessive(any) play between steel and rubber/polyurethane/plastic bushings generally ends badly for the bushing. Steel vs. rubber. Steel wins.

Back