• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Question

Tradesman300

NAXJA Forum User
My 92XJ just started 'shuddering' when braking. The shudder is coming from the rear end.

It does not seem to be coming directly from the brakes because there is no feeback to the brake pedal at all, only the shuddering while braking. Any ideas?

It could still be brakes. You won't get hydraulic feedback if the adjusters are bad, for example, and the bottom edges of the shoes start to chatter, or if the lining is separating. I'd open up the rear drums and have a look around. At that age, it's quite common for the adjusters to fail or the adjuster cables to rot off.

I have the drums off right now, I do not see anything that is awry. There is a coating of mud all over everything, tonight I am going to clean it all out and inspect things as I clean.

The boots all have ample material left, and none are sparating.

Tradesman300 said:
I have the drums off right now, I do not see anything that is awry. There is a coating of mud all over everything, tonight I am going to clean it all out and inspect things as I clean.

The boots all have ample material left, and none are sparating.

Sometimes they'll shudder if they're full of dust and junk, so perhaps you'll get lucky. Make sure while you're in there that the adjusters turn freely, and that the cables are routed properly, etc. so that they actually turn the star wheels. Also look for any displaced, broken, missing etc. hold-down springs. If it looks good, I'd just put it all back together clean, adjust, and hope for the best.

90xj06 said:
while you have it all apart might as well replace the shoes and related parts. kill two birds with one stone.

Not ready to go down that path yet, they have plenty of life left in them and I am saving up from my sye and long arm conversion.

Tradesman300 said:
Not ready to go down that path yet, they have plenty of life left in them and I am saving up from my sye and long arm conversion.
come on man shoes are only like 12 bux down at autozone maybe another 15 for hardware,

warwagon98xj said:
come on man shoes are only like 12 bux down at autozone maybe another 15 for hardware,

True,

I concede, they are added to my parts list. Damned heep is going to be in the garage until feb at this rate.

Back