• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What broke ?

camarors8992

NAXJA Forum User
All of a sudden i'm loosing power steering fluid pretty bad, i have to refill the pump once or twice a week. It's dripping out of the box where the pitman arm attaches. I'm guessing a seal of some kind, but is it replaceable or do i need a new box ?

All of a sudden i'm loosing power steering fluid pretty bad, i have to refill the pump once or twice a week. It's dripping out of the box where the pitman arm attaches. I'm guessing a seal of some kind, but is it replaceable or do i need a new box ?
it is replaceable but just easier to get a gearbox from the junkyard & swap them out.

I'd prolly put a new box in there rather than screwing with a box in the JY, a Durango box would be an upgrade right ? I'm going to be replacing it anyways so now would be a good time.

Are you absolutely sure the box is leaking? I had a bad leak on my MJ. Turned out to be a bad pressure hose and it was dripping down onto the box.

Yeah, clean off the box as best you can with solvent or soap, let it leak so you can then determine where it's coming from. I'd recommend a reman'd box, I had to replace my box ;) on my 98 last year, it was a 10 year old jeep with 150K, so think about what you'd be pulling off a junker. Granted, they are a lot cheaper but I didn't want to have to replace it again, at least for a few years anyway.

yea, i pressure washed it while it was on the lift and the fluid is coming from where the pitman arm is attached the box.

Another problem i discovered while the jeep was on the lift and might be the cause of the shimmy the jeep has at 55. The yoke in my front diff is sloppy, if i grab it i can wiggle it around some. I'm not sure what went bad, but i'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to differentials.

Back