• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Has anyone ever used this stuff??

tomhil

NAXJA Forum User
My engine shop here in town said i should use this oil additive to keep my cam alive for a long time.

ZDDplus ? I gess its the antiwear additive that has been almost filterd out of motor oil today.

Have any of you guys hered or seen this before? hered good things, bad things?

Thanks, Tom

zddp = zinc.. valvoline and a few other oils have zinc which is what our engines need!

ZDDP is a zinc compound. engines with a flat tappet (like our beloved 4.0) bennifit greatly from zddp. it forms a thin protective layer that helps to prevent excessive wear on the tappets. when the 4.0 was designed the epa allowed for the propper amount of zinc in motor oils. but since then the epa has gradually reduced the allowable content of zinc compounds. motor oils designed for gasoline engines now can not contain the proper level of zddp, but some diesel oils do. the best one out there is shell rottela. 15w40 is the best weight to use in our engines.

you can use regular motor oil and a zddp additive like the one recommended to you. for me, i choose to use the rotella because of the amount of zddp (thus not needing to purchase an additional addative) and for the increased detergent levels in it (helping to remove some sludge). i would also recommend running a larger and good quality filter with the diesel oil. i use a NAPA (WIX) oil filter #1515- it is recommended for a ford mustang 5.0 and is a direct fit for HO 4.0s and renix with the oil filter adapter mod done. it is about a half quart larger in capacity which means more filter surface area, higher flow rate and the ability to catch more crud before the bypass valve opens.

for more information search for motor oil, or ZDDP in the tech forums. there is a long thread regarding the best motor oil, and filters. the general consensus was that rotella and the wix 1515 filter is the best combo to use.

hth

I know a lot of guy's like the 15W-40 Rotella. If you really search the oil stuff out on the internet, the problem with this is that 80% or more of your engine wear occurs during warm up. A 0W-xx or 5W-xx synthetic protects better during the time when most of the wear occurs. And the high temperature viscosity at the top end (xxW-30) or (xxW-50) is actually the same. NOTE: This is only true for synthetics, not the dinosaur oil.

Shell oil? :huh: I never would have seen that being a good oil.

Im a castrol person. I was figuring on using SYNTEC.

They say the ZDD is immisions harmful and clogs up cats. I dont have one anymore so i dont need to worry about that. I know a lot of people just hate me now for saying that but i dont give a rats behind. I thinks cats are stupid and do more harm then good.

But yeah Shell oil, no way?

Shell oil? :huh: I never would have seen that being a good oil.

Im a castrol person. I was figuring on using SYNTEC.

They say the ZDD is immisions harmful and clogs up cats. I dont have one anymore so i dont need to worry about that. I know a lot of people just hate me now for saying that but i dont give a rats behind. I thinks cats are stupid and do more harm then good.

But yeah Shell oil, no way?

How do you pass the smog test for your plates???

Shell Rotella, 10w-30, I've been running it for a long time now and love it. I'm a Mobil1 man but not in a 4.0

There are other oils that will give you a 1100ppm ZDDP level as well and you need at least that or more for long cam life in the 4.0 It just so happens that most all diesel oils are high in ZDDP

How do you pass the smog test for your plates???

They never have tested me. A cat really doesnt do anything for our jeeps anyway. I have personaly seen, if your jeep is running good, they pass the test without a cat.

Cats just make the engine work harder, thus more smog problems, and makes your engine not last as long in the proses.

besides, air polusion will never be helped no matter how good a cat is. it cant filter out the man things that really cause it. Cars would have to not produce exhaust for that to happen.

They never have tested me. A cat really doesnt do anything for our jeeps anyway. I have personaly seen, if your jeep is running good, they pass the test without a cat.

Cats just make the engine work harder, thus more smog problems, and makes your engine not last as long in the proses.

besides, air polusion will never be helped no matter how good a cat is. it cant filter out the man things that really cause it. Cars would have to not produce exhaust for that to happen.

You are so close to being nominated....

someone is starting to sound a lot like purple. and people wonder why the eco nazis are always on our ass! do the world a favor and dont run cat-less.hasta

This subject on Rotella and ZDPP was heavily discussed in the Camaro forum I go to. When it comes down to zinc early 60s 70's motors rely on it. Ok to the point. Rotella has knocked down the amount of zinc. What a lot of guys are doing now is sticking with dino oil and adding GM EOS (break in lube). Its supposed to have alot of zinc.

This subject on Rotella and ZDPP was heavily discussed in the Camaro forum I go to. When it comes down to zinc early 60s 70's motors rely on it. Ok to the point. Rotella has knocked down the amount of zinc. What a lot of guys are doing now is sticking with dino oil and adding GM EOS (break in lube). Its supposed to have alot of zinc.

I think every oil will be without zinc pretty soon. Even on the zdd bottel here, it says for off road, industrial, agricultural, and race use only.

wow they are really trying to weed this stuff out. I dont think its right.

I thing the 4.0 would be just as dependent on it as the 60s 70s. our motors have the same old design to them as back then.

Back