• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stronger rear diff for stroker

crusTodd

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Jeepers,
I'm at a crossroads of sorts. I'm the happy owner of a 4.7 stroker as of 2300 miles and counting. I've done a few too many dry pavement WOT blasts and the Dana 'Turdy Five w/TruTrac is starting to complain. I think it's life may be short. I'm running 31"X10.50"s, an AW4, and 4:10's. I'm trying to decided what I should use for the next rear. A 9" ford would be nice, but big $$$. Would a Dana 44 or a Ford 8.8 be strong enough for approximately 275 WHP? I'm running around 3.5" of lift.

Thanks,
crust1

i think they should both be fine, even a 29 spline 8.25..

Ford 8.8.

Almost as much ring gear as a 9, good pinion, good housing, shafts are as strong, and its a pretty easy swap.

Wait what?

How are you getting 275 wheel horsepower out of a 4.7 stroker?

Turbocharged strokers are doing 300 to the crank..

I'm using a 27-spline 8.25" with 3.55s, Auburn LSD, and 255/60/15s Yokohamas(27" tall, 10.2" wide, but probably have more contact than your 10.5"s) and it's doing the job just fine(although somewhere down the road I might look into a traction bar). I haven't dyno'd mine yet, but it's putting at least 200hp and 250lb/ft to the ground(2wd ax15, so the minimal drive-train loss~15%). It has no problem spinning tires in 1st, 2nd, and chirping 3rd(if I'm being a dummy). So yeah, a 29-spline 8.25 should do the job fine.

Last edited:
Back