• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Junkyard Shocks?

Mutant_Xj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm waiting on my coils to be delivered but I wanted to try to find JY shocks that will work with a 4.5" lift. I've searched for a good while and all I found was a mention of GM truck rears. A friend who's an Idiot said he used F150 shocks on his Xj. I would never ride in his Xj, it's a junkyard dog.
I'm looking for info on what vehicle and year did other people use succesfully?
I'm broke and laid off and the You pull it charges $7 a shock so I wanted to try that first. I'm only going to do this for a temporary fix until I can save up for better shocks of find someone with a set for sale.
TIA
Damien

You wont ride in your friends rig, because its a junkyard dog.

.. but you're trying to build your own?

Procomp shocks new are dirt cheap, and will last until you can save enough lunch money to buy decent shocks..

No, I am all for getting JY parts and cheap upgrades. But Jimmy's Xj looks like a death trap. It's a redneck rig. If he posted it on here he'd be bragging about how great it is and everyone would be flamming him for being an Idiot. He's got a 91 2 door, the back was hacked off and not cleaned up, Cage from another vehicle that was buggarwelded to the sheetmetal on the floor and not tied into the body very well, the A-pillar snaped in a roll and was poorly welded on. F150 coils and a spacer up front, and two blocks in the back stacked on top of one another. Shocks keep getting torn off his rig because he gets what ever he finds and says "Oh these will work now I aint worried about it" then he ripps them off. It's running 32's and has a D35 in the back. I keep telling him he needs a TC drop but he swears the Drive shaft only popped out because the shock tore off and caused him to roll. I work with the guy and I don't know any jeepers so I hang out with him, He is a hell of a nice guy and has helped me out and let me wrench in his garage. He just thinks he know's everything and turned a poor Xj into a pile of scrap.

You wont ride in your friends rig, because its a junkyard dog.

.. but you're trying to build your own?

Procomp shocks new are dirt cheap, and will last until you can save enough lunch money to buy decent shocks..

im workin on usin the rear shocks off of my 95 chevy 1500 4x4, ive got roughly 4.5-5 in in the rear and the look like they may be the perfect size. ill post up after i try them out

Thank you for posting that Spanky. When do you think your gonna get them on? I might be heading out to the JY this weekend.
Off topic but I see your from Gettysburg. I was living down in Hanover a few years ago and I wish I would have known you then! I hated it down there. Nothing to do and everyone was a freakin ricer or the older crowd was into the muscle cars. I hated going into work at night because the idgits were parading there junk around the golden mile and racing constantly. I couldn't believe the amount of accidents and speeding tickets I saw there in my two years of working on that strip.
My wife and I loved driving around Gettysburg and the surrounding area all the time. It's really beautiful down there and I kinda miss that part.

buy shocks man, they're $30 each!
When sitting a shock should be collapsed 1/2 way.. Giving equal room to collapse as to extend. Don't be a hillbilly, buy new.. Proper length shocks.

I used F-150 shocks for the rear with 3 inches of lift and they were just a little on the long side. If you want an extremely long shock, look for a new Ford super duty. With 8 inches of lift the shocks are almost too long.

comanche rear socks are a bit longer, since they are spring under the axle. I imagine alot of spring under pick ups may have longer shocks. Jeeps with the up country suspension package are slightly longer.

I used F-150 shocks for the rear with 3 inches of lift and they were just a little on the long side. If you want an extremely long shock, look for a new Ford super duty. With 8 inches of lift the shocks are almost too long.

really?

The superduty in my driveway is running 8" travel bilstien 7100's. They are too short for an XJ with 4" of lift.

Look for a mid 90's dodge ram 4x4, they have 10 inch travel shocks stock and will be prefect for 4 inch lift xj... thats how I found new shocks for my xj with a 4.5 rustys lift.

On my last xj i ran grand cherokee shocks with bar pin eliminators. they were from the JY as well. they are 1 inch longer i think, and with the elimantors up front and rear (i also moved my lower rear mounts up an inch and 1/2)...i was dead center with those shocks. They rode pretty well too

dude just go buy some new shocks. in the end you'll like it alot better. and probably save money over time, and also time thinking about it.

I was laid off until 2pm today so I wanted something temporary until I could afford good shocks. I read RC and Procomps don't last long and ride rough. I just wanted something that I could drive around on until I could get them. I know you need to install the shocks and measure what size you'll need but I'm waiting on coils and wanted to just put everything on at once. I'm probably going to just get RC if I can find them cheap. I also couldn't find any for sale that weren't spoken for yet.

i heard that procomp and rancho's shocks were made by the same company.... correct me if i am wrong. they (pro comp) lasted a long time on my fathers chevy truck. and i like them and use them. imo

Back