• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Control Arms and Safety Insp.

redrock

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,
XJ newb here. I just bought a lifted XJ. Its my DD. It has I believe a Rock Krawler like lift with three relocated control arms. Passenger side upper is not a part of the kit. Got my vehicle inspected and they wont pass without that fourth arm. I can put something on for the inspection and take it off shortly thereafter, but if I'm going through the work I might as well take the best approach. I can generally fab stuff. I am looking for opinions on whether it would be best to attach an upper control arm mount point to the lower arm turning this into a radius arm set up on the passenger side, or just use the oem upper mount point even though the upper and lower arms will not be parallel as the upper will be angled down. The oem mount seems like a bad idea, but it would certainly be easier.

Thanks,
redrock

is it a 3-link lift kit? If so, you won't have that 4th control arm (aka link). Maybe if you provide the inspectors with documention from Rock Krawler saying that is how the lift kit is designed and it is roadworthy, they will pass it. Just a suggestion.

go to rock krawler site or other sites that show a 3-link and print picture to show the inspection station or just try a different inspection station.

can you post pictures of your set up, a picuture can tell a 1000 words? was the xj previously inpsected with the lift set up in the state your trying to get it inspected?

is it a 3-link lift kit? If so, you won't have that 4th control arm (aka link). Maybe if you provide the inspectors with documention from Rock Krawler saying that is how the lift kit is designed and it is roadworthy, they will pass it. Just a suggestion.

Just because that is how the kit is designed, and the manufacturer says it is road worthy, does not make it road worthy. (I'm not knocking RK, I'm just stating facts). I could design some crazy new suspension, and with no testing or validation, say it is road worthy. That doesn't mean that it is legal, or it won't fall apart at the first pebble you drive over.

The XJ came with 4 links from the factory, therefore to pass an inspection, it needs 4 links. It doesn't matter if you put a 3 link kit on there, because it is aftermarket, and isn't what was in the original specs.

As to the OP, if you just need something temporary, just fab something that will fit into the OEM arm location if they are still there, pull over in a parking lot right before the inspection, and put the arm in. You will now have 4 arms in there, its worth a try. Then just pull over and take the other arm out after you are done.

IIRC, Rock Krawler will sell you a 4th mount and link to pass inspection with.

give them a call.

Back