• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NEED QUICK ANSWER!!

98CherokeeSport

NAXJA Forum User
I have a Dana 44 out of a wagoneer sitting in my garage and just found a ford 8.8 with disc brakes and limited slip for $150. which one should i go with? which one is stronger?

the 8.8 is a bit bigger ring gear, plus 1 more spline on the axles, and free disc brakes and a limited slip, i'd go with the 8.8 if it was me

how much fab work are you wanting to do on ether axle?

of course the 8.8 needs new spring perches and shock mounts, but it has disk brakes and usually a LS diff

the 44 (what is it out of- xj waggy or full size waggy) could be bolt in if its from an xj waggy, may or may not have LS, crown vic rear disk upgrade etc

of course either may have to be regeared and/or new seals. either should have a good diff cover as well (i am partial to roughstuff specialties).

either way i am going to regear and lock it. i was just wondering which is stronger. ive heard the 8.8 holds up pretty well. isnt the bolt pattern on the 8.8 the same as the stock cherokee?

the 44 i have is out of a full size waggy with 6 lug. i would be moving the shock mounts on either one anyways and i dont want to put wheel adapters on the 44 to make it fit. there is nothing special about the 44 and it needs to be pretty much totally rebuilt

8.8 bolt pattern is the same and it's only about 1/4" thinner than the stock axles IIRC. (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) and it already has disc brakes and a LS bolt it. Less fab work to bolt it in. Depending on the gears you have in front there is a good chance you could slap it in and run with it as is untill you have money for 2 lockers and 2 sets of gears. I know quite a few of the 8.8's were 3.73 geared.

Parakeet

i would go with the 8.8 then. you could recoup some of the cost by selling the 44

ok sweet thats exactly what i was looking for. thanks guys!

Back