• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.56's and 33s vs 35s on a 5 speed

alek21

NAXJA Forum User
so i will be re-gearing to 4.56s and i have the 5-speed.. was wondering what the better combo is, 33's or 35's.. anyone have any input on this? i have heard that it will get better gas mileage with the 35's because you have the gear selection with the 5-speed.. what are your thoughts/suggestions? thanks

33's. theres more to just gearing to run 35's....u know my dilemma. i love 4.88's 33's and an aw4. which IIRC closely geared to an ax-15 and 4.56. my rpm range is 65mph around 2800rpm and in overdrive which isnt bad.

so i will be re-gearing to 4.56s and i have the 5-speed.. was wondering what the better combo is, 33's or 35's.. anyone have any input on this? i have heard that it will get better gas mileage with the 35's because you have the gear selection with the 5-speed.. what are your thoughts/suggestions? thanks

I have a lot of input on this because I drove my 5-speed rig for seven years as a daily driver/trail rig.
If you want 4.56 gears you will really want to stick with 33" tires. If you want to go with 35s you will want 5.13 gears.
My best mileage with 33s and 4.56s was about 21 MPG and my best with the 5.13s and 35s was 25 MPG. That was all hand calculated with an accurate speedo, '93 XJ, AX15, and slower hi-way driving.
For all aound driving with the 5-speed the 4.56/33" combo is better than the 5.13/35" combo, especially if you do a lot of hi-way driving. The 4.56/33" is just better matched in my opinion.
YMMV.

I have a lot of input on this because I drove my 5-speed rig for seven years as a daily driver/trail rig.
If you want 4.56 gears you will really want to stick with 33" tires. If you want to go with 35s you will want 5.13 gears.
My best mileage with 33s and 4.56s was about 21 MPG and my best with the 5.13s and 35s was 25 MPG. That was all hand calculated with an accurate speedo, '93 XJ, AX15, and slower hi-way driving.
For all aound driving with the 5-speed the 4.56/33" combo is better than the 5.13/35" combo, especially if you do a lot of hi-way driving. The 4.56/33" is just better matched in my opinion.
YMMV.

21mpg??!! dang thats really good for a cherokee lol.. i was planning on sticking with 33s and pretty sure i still am, only reason i asked is because when i priced tires the 35s were cheaper for some reason..

erg! I was totally settled on putting in 4.11's for my soon to be 33's on my 5spd and now you guys got me wondering. My biggest concern is pushing high rpms on the highway and it seems from what i've read thus far the 4.11's and 33's are closer to stock ratio on a 5spd than 33's and 4.56's. Is this statement false???

my dad has 4.11 and 33's with a 5 speed and 5" lift and gets good mpg like 17-18

You know i havent seen this posted for awhile now..So here you go..

IT is going to FOLD like a TACO...
OR
Thats what the search is for... OK i feel much better now..By the way, how is the new jeep coming along? PIC'S coming soon?

search?? whats that mean? lol

its coming along alright, got the lift off the old one and the np242 swapped from the old to the new, now the lift and axles need to come in..ill post pics when its all done :D

erg! I was totally settled on putting in 4.11's for my soon to be 33's on my 5spd and now you guys got me wondering. My biggest concern is pushing high rpms on the highway and it seems from what i've read thus far the 4.11's and 33's are closer to stock ratio on a 5spd than 33's and 4.56's. Is this statement false???

Get in your jeep. Put it in 4th, drive on the highway, note the RPM's and how the engine doesn't mind them.

Try it again in third.

The 4.0 is happiest at ~2700 rpm's, but really doesn't mind spinning at 3k+.

It will however DRINK your gas if you gear high and have to give it more throttle to compensate.

I just got 4.56 put in with my 5 speed and 33s. Its not terrible, roughly 2500-3000 on the highways, a little loud but that my cracked header.

The TJ has the same basic driveline as our XJ's. . .

With a 5spd and factory donut tires it came with either 3.07's or 3.73's
The Rubicon package bumped tire size to about a whopping 31" and got 4.11's

Put those in a calculator.

That said, my buddy put in JY 4.11's on his 5 spd DD on 30's - it's a work truck and heavily loaded. Says he's thrilled with the combo. . .

Back