• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

splicing wire question

whitneyj

NAXJA Forum User
This post kind of ties in with the one about the rubber fuel hose, but here we go. I need to extend the harness to the fuel sender and just need to know if I can cut and splice in more wire or if the slight voltage drop will cause a problem.

How much do you plan to add? You should not notice much if any drop addidng 6-8" of wire.

I'm looking at maybe a foot or so, depends if I can turn the fuel sender around to turn the tank 180* than stock. I'm not worried about the length of wire, that doesn't come into play with a voltage drop compared to the butt connectors not being copper like the wires.

A properly done butt connection will have no measurable voltage drop. If you don't have the crimper to make a proper connection, solder it.

For underhood, I crimp. I've seen solders "go cold" over time. I like to think I solder fairly well (structurally and electronically,) but I'll crimp if it's subject to heat cycles.

Anywhere else? Solder and cover with double-wall adhesive-lined heat shrink. Strip 1/2"-5/8" on both leads, twist together well (for the mechanical connection,) then solder the twist. Be careful to not melt the insulation, as melted insulation can release oils into the wire that corrupt the connection.

Back