• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ECM question

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I have a 96 XJ AW4 that had the E-22 recall done on it and it now doesn't run correctly, uses way too much gas, everything, I mean EVERYTHING is in top running condition and or new.

I also have a ECM from a 96 straight drive that has not had the E-22 recall done on it, can I swap the ECM's from a straight to a auto?

Just wanted to check and make sure I'm not missing something with the swap, thanks.

I have a 96 XJ AW4 that had the E-22 recall done on it and it now doesn't run correctly, uses way too much gas, everything, I mean EVERYTHING is in top running condition and or new.

I also have a ECM from a 96 straight drive that has not had the E-22 recall done on it, can I swap the ECM's from a straight to a auto?

Just wanted to check and make sure I'm not missing something with the swap, thanks.

Whats a straight ? do you mean manual ? the ECU's are different between the manual and stick, the stick has no input from the tranny and while the engine may run I don't know what the tranny will do. The reverse is one of the methods of converting a ZJ to a manual, change the ecu to a XJ manual ECU because the ZJ auto tranny identifies itself as an XJ ECU.

Whats a straight ? do you mean manual ? the ECU's are different between the manual and stick, the stick has no input from the tranny and while the engine may run I don't know what the tranny will do. The reverse is one of the methods of converting a ZJ to a manual, change the ecu to a XJ manual ECU because the ZJ auto tranny identifies itself as an XJ ECU.

Yep its a manual, sorry! Dang, I thought I had a quick fix for this stupid problem. The Jeep has only gone through 1 cat in 190k and was getting 16/21 before the recall. Since the recall was done in July 08, I'm on my second cat and mileage is down to 8/16.

The dealer will not take responsibility for the issue of course, I'm stuck with a good running 4.0 that gets crappy mileage and eats cats. I constantly get the PO420 code even on new cats and new O2's. I'm getting frustrated!

ECMs should swap. The only caveat is that putting an auto ECM into a manual will throw a P0700 code when it can't talk to the trans computer. I don't think the trans computer cares if ECM talks to it since it has its own sensors and doesn't need any info from the ECM.

ECMs should swap. The only caveat is that putting an auto ECM into a manual will throw a P0700 code when it can't talk to the trans computer. I don't think the trans computer cares if ECM talks to it since it has its own sensors and doesn't need any info from the ECM.

What about putting a manual ECM into a AW4 XJ?

The dealer refuses to replace the cat since it is aftermarket. I asked them to put my ECM program back to the original profile and they will not do it or can't do it. So it looks like I'm in the market for a ECM that has not had the E22 recall done to it.

Trailrider, I know how frustrated you must feel.

Just a couple questions;
Have you replaced the front O2 sensor (the one in front of the cat?)

What about the sparkplugs? Do they look sooty as if the engine's
indeed running very rich?

As I understand it, the recall was to make the ECM more sensitive to
the O2 differential at the cat, thereby reducing potential emissions
as the O2 sensors wear.....?

What about putting a manual ECM into a AW4 XJ?

Should work just fine. The manual ECM won't try to talk to the trans computer so no codes. The trans computer doesn't need anything from the ECM either. Looking at the wiring schematic, the signal for the throttle position sensor gets tee'd off in the wiring harness and feeds both the ECM and the TCU.

An issue w/ using a manual ecm in an automatic is that the deceleration fuel maps are different, so it might cut out when you come to a stop. Not sure of other issues. I have a 96 manual and had to use a 98 auto ecm to get by: no tach and no aux fan; 97 manual ecm: no aux fan and cel and gen dimly on even though no codes in the ecm.

Last edited:
My 96 came with a AW4 and i had the recall done, Then i sawped in a AX-15 and still used the auto ECM, it ran fine and got about 220 miles out of a tank. Now i have a manual ECM and get anywhere from 170-200 out of a tank. Not sure if that helps or not.

Trailrider, I know how frustrated you must feel.

Just a couple questions;
Have you replaced the front O2 sensor (the one in front of the cat?)

Yes, brand new Bosch

What about the sparkplugs? Do they look sooty as if the engine's
indeed running very rich?

Not too bad just a little soot, but nothing like it is showing at the tailpipe

As I understand it, the recall was to make the ECM more sensitive to
the O2 differential at the cat, thereby reducing potential emissions
as the O2 sensors wear.....?

I'm going to check the intake/exhaust over again this weekend to see if there are any leaks that could be causing the rich mixture. I'm getting a new cat put on tomorrow.

if you get a catalyst efficiency code, the convertor will be warranty, since the recall is to update the pcm to test catalyst efficiency. chrysler will warranty the convertor for an additional year after recall.

An issue w/ using a manual ecm in an automatic is that the deceleration fuel maps are different, so it might cut out when you come to a stop. Not sure of other issues. I have a 96 manual and had to use a 98 auto ecm to get by: no tach and no aux fan; 97 manual ecm: no aux fan and cel and gen dimly on even though no codes in the ecm.

Interesting. I have a manual ecm in my 89 with an auto and never noticed any deceleration problems. Not a direct comparison to a 96, though.

Interesting. I have a manual ecm in my 89 with an auto and never noticed any deceleration problems. Not a direct comparison to a 96, though.

im looking at the 4.0 multiport fuel injection system manual here at my desk and on page 81(deceleration mode, closed loop) it shows that the ecu receives many inputs from various sensors/switches..., but the only one that makes reference to an automatic transmission is the gear indicator signal, which you no longer have.

if you get a catalyst efficiency code, the convertor will be warranty, since the recall is to update the pcm to test catalyst efficiency. chrysler will warranty the convertor for an additional year after recall.

Nope, I talked to the Chrysler district service manager for my area, since my cat was a replacement before the recall, they will not warranty the cat even though it was deemed good at the recall and failed after the ECM re-flash. I think I'm getting screwed by Chrysler and my local dealer. I did call 3 other dealers and were told the same thing though.

I have another 96 that is a daily driver and I'll be damned if I ever allow the E22 recall to be done on it, it runs too good and I have only installed one cat in 112k on it so it must not be a big issue.

I REALLY wish i had not done the E22 recall on my trail rig, now, it runs like crap. It always ran great before the recall and got awesome mileage.

Nope, I talked to the Chrysler district service manager for my area, since my cat was a replacement before the recall, they will not warranty the cat even though it was deemed good at the recall and failed after the ECM re-flash. I think I'm getting screwed by Chrysler and my local dealer. I did call 3 other dealers and were told the same thing though.

I have another 96 that is a daily driver and I'll be damned if I ever allow the E22 recall to be done on it, it runs too good and I have only installed one cat in 112k on it so it must not be a big issue.

I REALLY wish i had not done the E22 recall on my trail rig, now, it runs like crap. It always ran great before the recall and got awesome mileage.

My 98 has over 330,000mi on the original cat, NO E22 flash, in fact the ECU in our ZJ had to be replaced a month or two ago, it was intermittent, my mech friend backed up the ECU, got the new one from the dealer who flashed it to the newest then he flashed it back, a nice solid 22mpg on the hiway, same as it was before. Now he heeps that image for any other ZJ's that he does, many of his customers complained of crappy mileage after he replaced ECU's on them. The ZJ is the only auto in the family. This is a large jeep area here in the Pocono's.

the last page of the recall notice is the same recall notice page the customer gets from chrysler. it states to contact chrysler for reimbursement if you paid for a convertor before the recall was issued. your local dealer can pull the document for you.

The cat was put on by a previous owner and is a high flow cat, since the cat was aftermarket and not original or OEM replacement and I have no receipt I'm SOL.

im looking at the 4.0 multiport fuel injection system manual here at my desk and on page 81(deceleration mode, closed loop) it shows that the ecu receives many inputs from various sensors/switches..., but the only one that makes reference to an automatic transmission is the gear indicator signal, which you no longer have.

I wonder if the gear indicator just affects the idle?

Back