• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE XJ trackbar brace...doesn't fit?

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
So I've been trying to get my trackbar brace on my XJ for my RE HD bracket and trackbar, but I can't for the life of my get it all bolted up. I have over 200k on this Jeep, and am worried my frame might be too flexed from years of use? I can get the frame bolts in (barely) and then get the bolts into the bracket and just inside the brace (about half a thread sticking out) my hope was I'd be able to pry the brace into the bolts just enough to put the nuts on the bolts...but I can't get it to budge more then just a little bit (I suppose that's good...but still).

Anyone have any tricks? I gave RE a call, but Eric was gone...and the guy I talked to said he didn't know XJs. I can post pics if you want.

~Scott

It's usually a process. You have to start one bolt at a time. Get one lined up and push it to line up another one. I didn't have to but you might have to drill out a hole or two.

Ok...I got it going. For those who reffer back to this thread, make sure your trackbar bracket is loose (mine was before I posted this) and simply keep working preasure, and doing it a few threads at a time. Deaman (above) got it right.

For whatever reason, I couldn't get it to work no matter what, and when I left and came back, something went smoother and I finally got some threads in.

~Scott

I would like to follow up on this thread for peeps in the future as well:

I have a 99 xj and have had the RE track bar bracket fo about 6 months. I just got the track bar brace today and at first had no luck lining up the holes. I know my front end is fine - no wrecks and a lot of tube work and a good front bumper has kept is straight. I decided to modify the brace itself by reaming out the holes. One hole, the bottom one on track bar bracket was left alone while the others ones needed some massaging - no more than half an inch at most of bolt relocation. I did not remove or loosen my track bar bracket. So, that is one way to do it as well if you have the tools (redrill new hole and follow up with a little die grindin' and it went smooth on.)

It really beefed up the front end and works as a great place to zip tie my hydro lines to! So do not fight it - either wiggle the bolts around with the bracket loose or you can do some metal work - I left plenty of material so the bolts will not rip through by any means... the thing is in there snug... though for 75 bux i think someone could easily make their own - just like a steering box brace for much cheaper if they have access to a welder... The combo hough with the track bar bracket is beef and serves as a great builder item for a custom/ heim joint double shear track bar frame side mount...

pics to come...

Back