• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheapest way to get more power.

88manche

NAXJA Forum User
Whats the Cheapest way ya'll have found to get more power out of the 4.0's? Is there anything worthwile? will swapping out my 1988 stock manifold with a stock "header" get me any gains?

Getting back to the real question...:rolleyes:

You can swap to the HO head/intake setup but use a '99 intake manifold. That will also let you use the stainless exhaust manifold with the flex joint so you don't have to deal with the cracked manifold anymore. It's really an easy process, don't let it intimidate you...it's also cheap to do if you have a pull-a-part near you.

Then do what 3XJFamily said, regear...if you want 4.10's find a 4cyl XJ and grab the front axle from it, or you can just pull the R&P but you will have to set it up yourself. For the rear, you can grab 4.10s from either a D35 or C8.25 out of the same 4cyl. That's going to depend on what axle you are/want to run.

My friend has this exact setup done to his on 31" MTs and it has no problem getting out of it's own way. It's very peppy on the low end. Passing on the highway is NO issue anymore for him.

Whats the Cheapest way ya'll have found to get more power out of the 4.0's? Is there anything worthwile? will swapping out my 1988 stock manifold with a stock "header" get me any gains?

you will never get noticeable power gains for cheap. If it was that easy they would have done it on the line. Lots of the little things like the throttle body porting and exhaust mods will get you a few HP and some throttle response(which gets confused with Horsepower gains), but they generally are the same gains and not really additive. In reality the best increase comes with displacement, or forced induction(which is just about the same thing)

If your interested, i know of a mechanic shop here in salem named Dan Judy that has a full trail jammer kit slightly used, im sure that it would give you some good performance

Last edited:
A good after market air filter..

Nick

I already got a K&N, and I have an izuzu trooper airbox that needs to go in sometime soon. I plan on routing it outside so that it gets cold outside air and not hot inside air. I can run with my hood dry in the rain, and havin that suck into my engine sucks.

Im plannin on doing the intake and routing it out the side of the fender, attatched to one of those marine backwards air scoop things so it dosent suck in water.

Back