• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Instrument Cluster inoperative

95' heep

NAXJA Forum User
hey, i got this Jeep aka Heep as i got it for $300 and ran great, needed some simple TLC...

one thing made me to hasta on this thing as the gauges dont work at all, ALL of them!

its 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport with 4.O O.H. and auto tranny.

the Cruise control works which tell me the VSS works so there's something wrong with the gauges itself. like i said, nothing work- speed, RPM, battery volt, oil pressure, gas level, coolant temp all dont work. even the odometer quit working at ~173,xxx miles.

anyone had this problem? any hint on find on what's the bug that keeping them from working? im thinking a ground problem. im still new to the chrysler products as i normally worked on the GM S-series. and this jeep is old and a bit rusty as well. but drive great, as should. oh the ABS not work too lol but i dont need that for off road haha

any :rtm: on get it fixed???

TIA

find a new cluster and swap it see if it works?

ABS and Instrument panel circuit use the same Ground...G106.
G106 is at the right rear of the motor...just above the oil filter. You will see a post to the block there with at least 3 ground wires, G106, G107, and G108.
Remove the ground wires and inspect/repair each one as need.

Fuse F17 supplies power to instrument cluster...so make sure all your fuses are good.

G106 is at the right rear of the motor...just above the oil filter. You will see a post to the block there with at least 3 ground wires, G106, G107, and G108.

Fuse F17 supplies power to instrument cluster...so make sure all your fuses are good.

tried this ground, looks good and it wasnt that tight and i tightened it and still no luck. i will try to research on the wiring diagram on what powers the gauges, pretty much left is the fuse then its something with the guauges itself of the wires

keep comin!

located the F17 and it's blown. its 7.5 amp rated fuse. is that correct fuse? thats sound odd size fuse.

either way, im gonna try to find at least 7.5 or up to 10 amp fuse to swap it in next few day to see if it's the problem.

found the fuse's blown and i swapped it out and right away it blows when i turn the ignition switch.

so i started to diagnosis and i find that it have power to the fuse but it's about 11.9 (engine off) and i checked the ground conitiuinty on the instrument cluster and it is fine and between the fuse to the instrument cluster is fine. so this tell me either the instrument cluster is BAD, grounded itself out. BUT before im convinced to that, i wired my own hillybilly wire straight off the battery to the instrument cluster (it's fused at 7.5amp as stock) and finally this time the fuse wont blows. however the gauges wont work, but the high beam, turn signals lights come on, they turn off when the high beam light's on, or the turn signal is on/flashing, they will turn off when the lamps on the turn signals itself is on.

i really need to get the insrtrument cluster to work so i can monitor the engine operation

got it fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!

the ignition switch was the blame.

i basically just bypassed it by using the big orange wire off the ignition switch that become "hot" when ignition's is in ON position so the battery wont drains when jeep's not in use.

thank guys for help!

Back