• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tire size?

josefxj97

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to buy new tires soon. Steppin up to 33's...what width does everyone think is the best? 10.5 or 12.5? just lookin for opinions. thanks

i like 12.50 personally, however i like to rife thru sand without having to air down so i like the wider footprint

the 33x10.5 is perfect for a DD jeep on stock rims. Works great off road also.
The additional width of a 12.5 requires wider wheels with more off-set to be able to keep most of your turning radius and still stuff the tires reasonably.
The extra width also helps for flotation in mud, sand and snow and provides better body protection around trees and such.

What wheels are these going on?
If they are a 8" wide aftermarket rim then I would go with the 12.5's. But if you want to put them on stock rims the 10.5 might be more what you are looking for?

Michael

I kind of like the look of 12.50 on a 10" wide wheel. it makes them look alot wider.

right now i am running 31x10.50, rim size is 15x8 with a backspacing of 3.75. the jeep has 5" of lift and all the fenders have been trimmed. getting ready to buy new tires soon and i just wasnt sure which width to go with. thanks everyone for your input it helped alot.

33x13.5 Pitbull Rockers :cheers:

I kind of like the look of 12.50 on a 10" wide wheel. it makes them look alot wider.

Unfortunately, it makes the tires' sidewalls more prone to coming off of the bead on the trail. A 4" narrower rim width is about ideal for most applications, and I've even seem 13-14" wide tires on 8" rims. You get a bit of crowning with that set-up, but I'd prefer that to losing a bead/constant crap in the bead/rim area on the trail. If you're running beadlocks it's not such a big issue.

Unfortunately, it makes the tires' sidewalls more prone to coming off of the bead on the trail. A 4" narrower rim width is about ideal for most applications, and I've even seem 13-14" wide tires on 8" rims. You get a bit of crowning with that set-up, but I'd prefer that to losing a bead/constant crap in the bead/rim area on the trail. If you're running beadlocks it's not such a big issue.
well my buddy used to run 31x10.50 on a 10" wheel. it looked rediculous, so he stepped up to 33x12.50 on the same wheels, looks alot better!

12.5" gives better flotation for sand, mud and snow. 10.5" tends to cut through the surface rather than float on top. It really depends on what kind of wheeling you do. If it's primarily a street/dirt road type rig, 10.5" is probably better. If you take it off road around here much, a 12.5" width will serve you better.

There are also more issues with fender clearance, wheel backspacing, and long-term wear of unit bearings and steering parts with a 12.5 wide tire too, so bear that in mind.

Back