• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 xj engine replacement???

gsus4me

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 xj with a knocking 4.0 engine i also have a wrecked 96 model with a good 4.0 engine but i've been told they will not cross out. anyone know if its posible or just not worth the trouble?

I have the same year and I have been told that I need a 2000/2001 if I want to replace. Mouting brackets, etc. That's bad news, because you really don't want the head from those years. They are prone to cracking. It must be possible. Hell, someone put a Chevy 350 in an XJ. Put them side by side and compare.

The holes for bolting the engine mounts up are the same....so, no problem there. Your 2000 has a 'distributorless' engine whereas the 96 has a distributor. That shouldn't be a problem either....just change all that out with parts from the 2000....that would of course include the coil packs. I would just change out everything on the outside that has wires plugging in....all sensors, etc... the computer systems are a bit different, but by changing out all the electrical, it shouldn't be a problem. I don't think you would have any problems at all, but wait for advise from some of the pros here. Good Luck

I agree with the statement above. You shouldn't have any issues swapping things over. I would use the newer intake and you'll more than likely have to use the exhaust manifold off the 96 seeing as how the ports for a 0331 heads are smaller on the exhaust side.

I changed the motor in my 00 xj a month ago... had the head cracking issue.... I just changed the whole thing. I did some research and the whole process is a bit more involved then you would first assume... best bets are.
1. cnhage it out from a 2001 (seems these heads in this year are less prone)
2. same as above but use a different head and make the coilpack brackets... Also the manifolds are a small issue. Somewhere on here someone is selling a "kit" so you can use the whole exhuast system manifolds and all. it involves a peice of steel (the adapter) the manifold gaskets from the head your using, and on the other side the manifold gasket from the 00/01 year and it all goes together nicely

Back