• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

those of you running 35's and snorkel

jeepnuts311

NAXJA Forum User
hey all,

for those of you running 35s with a snorkel (arb style) how did you manage that?

just upgraded from 33s to 35s. the 33s used to rub the snorkel hose a little bit, but the 35s ripped it completely off. the problem is (was) where the snorkel hose dips down and makes a U to go up underneath the front of the air box.

for now, the hose is totally shredded, so i dont know what to do.

i have 35s on a 5" lift and the fenders are cut and the pinch seam has been flattened out. it flexes like a beast and the tires rub inside the fender but its all smooth now so they dont tear up.

-Tim

some thing you may to want to consider is the airflow snorkel it is routed differently, if you do decided to go this rout i would be intrested in the arb

So you've ripped yours off too? Bump stops help. I am working on a plastic adapter to keep it low profile where it hits.

old_man said:
So you've ripped yours off too? Bump stops help. I am working on a plastic adapter to keep it low profile where it hits.

yeah, it started with a small hole and then one big flex and the whole tube turned into wrapping paper ribbon.

i dont want to bumpstop the hell out of it for sake of having a snorkel. the only reason i dont take the snorkel off is because of the big holes in the fenders and i paid good money for it so why take it off.

-Tim

Anybody found a good replacement hose?

How about re-routing the hose through the cowl into the engine bay? I cannot let the snorkel go either for the same reasons.. lol

I'm going to brainstorm (i.e. drink a lot of beer until I come to a conclusion).. ;)

Thats why I chose the airflow, so i wouldnt have that problem. since its too late for you then I suggest what I intend to do soon, sleeve the hose. use some PVC pipe and sleve the hose, and you can run some steel clamps to the body to hold it there.

I've got 35's and ARB snorkel and I knew my tires would be shredding the hose if I installed it per the instructions. My solution was to go in through the side instead of looping down and through the bottom. It is very tight but I didn't have to move anything. I've got a few pics somewhere. I'll find them and be right back.

Here you go...

snorkel03.jpg

snorkel04.jpg

snorkel05.jpg

EricsXJ said:
I've got 35's and ARB snorkel and I knew my tires would be shredding the hose if I installed it per the instructions. My solution was to go in through the side instead of looping down and through the bottom. It is very tight but I didn't have to move anything. I've got a few pics somewhere. I'll find them and be right back.

Where'd you get the hosing and that rubber gasket thingy for the hole?

railer said:
Where'd you get the hosing and that rubber gasket thingy for the hole?

I did essentially the same thing. I used the standard hose, and just cut it nearly in half, and some door trim I had laying around to shield the sharp edges.

The only "interesting" part of the project was rigging a flange to let the hose enter the side of the airbox, instead of the front/bottom.

I'll try to get some pics...

Robert

edit: yeah, what eric said...

That's what I did, Eric. How on on earth did you get those fenders cut that way? I used a Cut Off Wheel and ended up having to pull the whole fender to get those kind of cuts (that sheet metal is super thin),...

I went through the side as well, I got a boat vent for the adapater and cut the vent centre out of the it to open it up.

Bear in mind my XH is right hand drive so might be slightly different under the bonnet in the airbox area.

aab.jpg

aaa.jpg

Cheers
Steve

My airbox looks just like Steve F's. I used a black PVC adapter that was the right diameter to mate up with the ARB flex tube.

As for cutting the hole in the side, I had just enough room to do it from the inside. It was safer that way - less chance of cutting into any wires or the computer.

snorkel02.jpg

I ran mine through the side like Eric did. I made flange like the ARB one but out of steel that goes on the front of the air box with a 90 degree bent piece of exhaust pipe welded to it. Same idea as the ARB but at the angle I needed. Works great so far, no more 35's eating my tube!

Back