• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Repainting: From black to Amber Fire

AZCA jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering what the process is and who you recommend. I don't want to go to a random, not well known place, tell them what I want, and instead of getting the right "recipe" they just get something close to it. Since it's a factory color it shouldn't be too hard for them to get it from Jeep, right? Normally they will just order it from the factory correct?

That is all.:D

EDIT: Mods, please move this to the paints and bodywork section. I just now noticed it.
Thank you.

Last edited:
paint comes from paint suppliers not the dealer
as far as quality maaco does decent work and they have a wide array of prices from basic like 400 dollar to primo 2000 dollar jobs the difference being the amount of prep work. want all the little dings and dents fixed? it gets pricy. pretty sure there nationwide. you can check out some of there work first and decide. they do have a warranty and if it dosent look good make em redo it. a friend of mine had his jag done there and all was well except for a sag on one rear quarter, so they resprayed it. no questions asked as far as color you can choose from any manufactures color they have a shitload of colorcharts

Try a body shop also. They will usually do a very good job, but it'll run you a couple grand.

I maybe can shed some light on this subject. Since you are changing the color of the vehicle, it usually costs more (generally speaking, you would lay a sealer down so the old color doesn't bleed through, and then you would need to lay some additional coats of the amber fire because you have to have complete coverage over the sealer).

Now to do the paint job right, everything needs to come out, your interiors, engine, and everything else in the bay, all the doors off, the windows off, basically everything to just the bare metal so that it can be all repainted. Thats not done much (with good reason lol) so what is most commonly done is just painting the jambs only (inside the doors and the hatch) and cheapest would just be on the exterior (you open any door and you'll see the original color).

As far as matching paints, yes its difficult to do, some shops invest thousands and thousands of dollars into equipment that will show them the right "recipe" for matching, but since you are doing an overall job (no spot painting) you won't have to worry about blending, and since its a OEM color, all they do is look up the % of "dyes" to mix with the paint to match the exact color that came from the factory, and it will come out identical.

Back