• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

set the record... Mobil 1 or not?

mgreen84

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I know that the concensus here is to use redline in the AX trannys, however its not readily available to alot of us and I would like to know the experiences and finally get a definate answer on the use of Mobil 1 synthetic gear lube in these trans.?? The bottle of course says that it meets GL3, 4 and 5 Specs.... I have searched several sources and I am assuming (mostly from info I have gathered at bob is the oil guy) the reason that it can meet all specs for GL is because the sheer-off strength of synthetic allow for the oil to meet the other specs (4 and 5) without using sulfur.... someone correct me if I am wrong... anyone run Mobil 1 in theirs?

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...&part=RED-50304&N=700+400236+115&autoview=sku

This is what I run, it made a Huge difference when switching from the nasty GL5 with sulfur. I heard that Mobile changed what was in their transmission fluid and now it contains sulfur.

yeah....as I said in the original post REDLINE is not readily available to alot of people.... thats why I am asking if Mobil or any other synthetic fluid such as valvoline has been used without problems?

I run Amsoil in everything,you can have it shipped directly to your door!

yeah....as I said in the original post REDLINE is not readily available to alot of people.... thats why I am asking if Mobil or any other synthetic fluid such as valvoline has been used without problems?

Not trying to get into a web-fight with you, I consider a few minutes, a credit card and waiting a few days readily avaliable, Its what I do.

The dealership's use 10W30 or 30W engine oil when they have to do oil changes in the AX15. If you want to be sure you can go to the service department of a local dealership and ask the parts guy for AX15 oil.

~Alex

Not trying to get into a web-fight with you, I consider a few minutes, a credit card and waiting a few days readily avaliable, Its what I do.

The dealership's use 10W30 or 30W engine oil when they have to do oil changes in the AX15. If you want to be sure you can go to the service department of a local dealership and ask the parts guy for AX15 oil.

~Alex

I understand, but when you use your rig as a dd and a trail rig....and mistakenly run it through a puddle/LAKE, and need to change all your fluids while laying on the ground on sunday night, and having to be at work the next morning.... a credit card and 3 days waiting is not "readily available"..LOL

~Alex

yeah....I worked for a chrysler dealership in AZ a couple of years ago and we recieved a bulletin notice that this was the new recommendation for "smoother shifting".... basically the viscosity of gear oil and motor oil are the same (someone will argue with me..for sure) however I have never decided to go that route with mine........ however now that I give it some thought........
Tomorrow morning I am going to drain my trans and fill it with Synthetic motor oil, hopefully it will work out , if all else fails I will have to buy a trans. but at least I could settle the GL3 dispute and aggrivation!

The two types of oil have similar actual viscosity and what is more important to the life of your tranny is that the engine oil does not contain sulfur. The sulfur reacts with the bronze syncros and begins to deteriorate them.

What oil are you running in the trans now?

right now I have MOPAR OEM AX15 lube, however it is probably full of water after todays trip.... I have taken apart several Aisin trannys and seen the aftermath of GL5 rated oils on yellow metals, most of the Syncronizer rings look like burnt toast! .... but here where I live in "Beaver Squat, Boonies of Georgia" the only API rated gear oils available at any parts store are GL5 rated.... I have service several trannys with motor oil in the past and know that it will not cause much of an issue, however I am so stuck on doing things one way I have never brought myself to use it in my own junk...however I REFUSE to spend another $60 bucks at the dealership... so I guess I have only the motor oil option left ....

Just order enough Redline or your choice of gear oil in quanitities sufficient for more than a single refill. Then you have a good product available when you want it, like midnight of Sunday when you need to be at work Monday and no place is open. Can't be that for readily available, can ya?

(mostly from info I have gathered at bob is the oil guy)

If Bob is the reason that you are choosing to go this route then I would just Use a GL5 and be done. That Guy is quoted all around the Net, and for NO good reason. He never lists his credibility, you never actually see any of his "testing" in action, and he only attacks certain products. Usually ones that have been established in the industry, and a new company is trying to make a hole. I could duplicate every one of his pictures and not have gear oil in any container. You just have to take him at his word that his expiraments in his basement are completly true and un-biased, and that they actually test what he is saying they are.

Remember the "This is the internet and I can make a webpage that says the moon is made of blue cheese" argument? Well it describes him to a "T".

Redline is good, Amsoil is good, and I have friends running Mobil one with no problems. When I change out my AX4 lube it will be with an off the shelf GL5 since it meets or supercedes the requirements.

/rant about douch-canoe oil guy

alex22 said:
The dealership's use 10W30 or 30W engine oil when they have to do oil changes in the AX15

this, and be done

If Bob is the reason that you are choosing to go this route then I would just Use a GL5 and be done. That Guy is quoted all around the Net, and for NO good reason. He never lists his credibility, you never actually see any of his "testing" in action, and he only attacks certain products. Usually ones that have been established in the industry, and a new company is trying to make a hole. I could duplicate every one of his pictures and not have gear oil in any container. You just have to take him at his word that his expiraments in his basement are completly true and un-biased, and that they actually test what he is saying they are.

Remember the "This is the internet and I can make a webpage that says the moon is made of blue cheese" argument? Well it describes him to a "T".

Redline is good, Amsoil is good, and I have friends running Mobil one with no problems. When I change out my AX4 lube it will be with an off the shelf GL5 since it meets or supercedes the requirements.

this, and be done
^^ that is freakin' hilarious!! I agree about bob is the oil guy, and it would be a good idea to order more redline and have it when needed... however some folks are still going to be caught without some at one point or another.....so I bought German castrol Full synthetic today and filled the tranny with 10W30...it definately shifts better, although I haven't drove it enough to see if how it compares to redline.... I don't trust mobil one anymore since all the hype on the web and such so I guess we will see how this turns out.

this, and be done

remember that GL ratings are not like those of Motor oil ...just because it is rated GL5 does not mean it supercedes another...

remember that GL ratings are not like those of Motor oil ...just because it is rated GL5 does not mean it supercedes another...

really? That is the first I had heard that. We had most of our GL3 clearanced out while I worked at advance, when we asked what it was going to be replaced by they said that the GL4 and GL5 it was being replaced with met all the standards of GL3.

really? That is the first I had heard that. We had most of our GL3 clearanced out while I worked at advance, when we asked what it was going to be replaced by they said that the GL4 and GL5 it was being replaced with met all the standards of GL3.

hang on and I will get you some info....

Found a TSB to help explain this....

https://www.amsoil.com/dealer/techs...ls and Manual TransmissionTransaxle Lubes.pdf

Normally for AX-15 customers I recommend a GL-4 lubricant. No need to risk it when the correct fluid is available.

Gear oils are designed and rated based on the type of gear system and the pressure in that gear system that the oil wil be used in, for example a hypoid setup will have to have GL5 but spur gears especailly those that are synchronized using yellow metal rings, like those in the AX trannys, require a GL3 oil.... GL4 for example has half the Extreme Pressure (EP) additives as GL5.. so using GL5 in a GL4 COULD be possible as long as the internals of the gear system will not be damaged by the additives in GL5. heres a quote from Amsoils site....
"
The differences in gear design create the need for significantly different lubrication designs. For instance, hypoid gears normally seen in automotive differentials require GL-5 concentration and performance of extreme pressure additives.

"This is because of the spiral sliding action that hypoid gears have," said Dinwiddie.

In differential applications that utilize hypoid gears, AMSOIL typically recommends one of the following: SEVERE GEAR Synthetic Extreme Pressure 75W-90 (SVG), SEVERE GEAR Synthetic Extreme Pressure75W-140 (SVO), SAE 80W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube (AGL), Long Life Synthetic gear Lube SAE 75W-90 (FGR), or Long Life Synthetic Gear Lube SAE 80W-140 (FGO).

Most manual transmissions have helical gears and do not require GL-5 performance.

"The helical gear is almost a straight cut gear, but on an angle," said Dinwiddie. "There is spiral action and very little sliding action, hence there is less need for extreme pressure additives."

GL-4 gear lubes have half the extreme pressure additives of GL-5 lubes.

In manual transmissions utilizing helical gears, AMSOIL typically recommends one of the following: Synthetic Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid (MTF) or Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube (MTG)."

...heres the link to that site (I'm sure alot of people have it)... alot of good info there
http://www.upmpg.com/drivetrain/gearlube/

huh, fun stuff. Technically they were right when they told us that, but in certain cases it could cause problems. At least that is the way I read that. Either way it is good to know.

Back